Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2011, 07:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Razer Carcharias vs Corsair HS1?

I'm in the market for some gaming headphones and I've been looking at these two sets.

If price wasn't the issue between these two headsets, which would be the better buy for gaming?
Keep in mind that it would be highly unlikely that I would be getting a separate sound card, so the Razer's would be connected directly to my P8P67 Deluxe's sound card while the Corsair's would be the USB version.

My main usage would be gaming, I don't see myself using them for music or for movies.
Old July 2, 2011, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The ALC 889 soundcard on your motherboard is actually pretty decent, especially the stereo. I would go for the Carcharias anyday, especially if you can catch it on sale it gets as low as $35.
Old July 2, 2011, 01:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wow, really, the best I've seen is $60 for this set.
Where has it been that low before? For $35, it would be a pretty easy choice.
Old July 4, 2011, 06:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Any more feedback out there?
Old July 4, 2011, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I can't speak for the Corsair's, but I own the Carcharias and it has been my gaming headset for about a year or so. For a stereo headset, I've been really impressed with it's sound quality in both games and music. It's not mind blowing quality, but it's no slouch. But the biggest reason I love it is COMFORT. It is, hands down, the most comfortable headset I've used over long gaming stretches. And for me, that's a very big deal. I'm never getting a headache or overheated in the ears when using it to play MMO's or long FPS runs. And I've never been let down in the sound quality department. Obviously it's a stereo headset, so there's limitations. But making the jump from a basic Wal-mart headset would be leaps ahead.

I've never seen this go for $35 either. (Not saying it doesn't, I've just never seen it.) But I do see it regularly for around $60. So I'd say you should give the sales a few weeks of cycling and you should be able to get a deal on it.
Old July 4, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Tigerdirect has had two sales at $35 the past 2 years IIRC and NCIX has had it at $40-$50 a few times. Regardless, it should be readily available for $60 which isn't a bad price.
Old July 4, 2011, 06:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i own both, i prefer the sound of the corsair hs1 myself. you can get it usb or minijack. I have seen some crazy deals on the hs1's too.

Old July 4, 2011, 07:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are you using the USB version or the analogue version of the HS1?

Can you list some of the pros and cons of each headset, if you don't mind?
Thanks!
Old July 4, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Something to consider is buying the Carcharias from Futureshop. Not many people know that they will price match for you. That way, you can listen to the Carcharias and see if you like them. If not, you have 30 days to return them for full money back. Just keep the receipt and package.
Old July 5, 2011, 06:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

They have them there, oh, didn't know that, cause I did think about doing that... thanks for the tip.
I'll have to pop in to try a set out.