Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2008, 04:04 PM
Top Prospect

Default need info

i'm lost when the audio side of my comp is in question. I want to know which card could be a plus for me (listening music a lot, movies and gaming). I need a card that is not specific to gaming or music. Someone can help me out? I can afford 200$ but i want something around 150$. I'm planning to buy an other sound system this summer (i have a 2.1 altec lansing.
Old February 8, 2008, 06:15 AM
Allstar

The Prelude or ASUS Xonar should be a good fit for you. Although he Prelude is considered the best gaming card on the planet and the Xonar is considered a HTPC card. Both did retail for $200 each but you might be able to get them for a little less.
Old February 8, 2008, 06:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Here's another option to consider your ASUS P5KC 192Khz/24bit output and 8.1 sound. That's pretty damn good already. It's probably your Altec system that's holding you back even though they are pretty fine.

I popped for an Audigy2 on my P4 board despite having onboard sound a few years back just to get that extra few FPS in my gaming and I regretted it. I should have put the extra $120 towards the Logitech Z680 5.1s that I bought.

Although the Altec lansings are great, sell them for $60 and get yourself a set of these:

Logitech Z-5500 THX Certified 5.1 500-watt Dolby Digital & DTS Hardware Decoding Speaker System 970115-0403 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

The Z-5500 are the successors to the Z680 and are also THX rated. Believe me these babies shake your dishes when cranked.
Old February 8, 2008, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, I just attached a set of Logitech Z-4 speakers to my ASUS Xonar just to test their functonality. I am SHOCKED as how well these budget speakers sound with this soundcard. I then attached them to the onboard sound of my other PC and the sound was instantly muddled and unclear. A real soundcard will make even average speakers sound so much better. I do agree that the Z5500's are ideal to have, but with onboard sound you will be disappointed. I'd get both if possible, but I'd start with a soundcard first since there is no onboard that can even come close to the power of the Xonar and the Prelude. I owned both soundcards and in my humble opinion the Zonar has a far superior sound for music/movies. EAX is not a consideration for me since I never bought into it and never noticed any real difference between a card that has it and a card that does not while gaming. Either way, I'd go with what the wallet supports. If you only have $200 to spend now and cannot get more, get the soundcard and start saving for speakers. Great speakers will be held back by onboard sound greatly.
Old February 8, 2008, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well if those are the Altec 2.1s that I think they are then they are as good as the Z4 so a new sound card would be cheaper. I'm still not convinced that it would be better than using the optical out of the P5KC with a set like the Z-5500 or Z680.

Perhaps looking for someone willing to part with their Z680s would be an option... Of course that wouldn't be me, I love them. They also make cheap home theatre speakers when I attach them to the optical out of my Videtron HD box...
Old February 8, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by low351 View Post
Here's another option to consider your ASUS P5KC 192Khz/24bit output and 8.1 sound. That's pretty damn good already. It's probably your Altec system that's holding you back even though they are pretty fine.

I popped for an Audigy2 on my P4 board despite having onboard sound a few years back just to get that extra few FPS in my gaming and I regretted it. I should have put the extra $120 towards the Logitech Z680 5.1s that I bought.

Although the Altec lansings are great, sell them for $60 and get yourself a set of these:

Logitech Z-5500 THX Certified 5.1 500-watt Dolby Digital & DTS Hardware Decoding Speaker System 970115-0403 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

The Z-5500 are the successors to the Z680 and are also THX rated. Believe me these babies shake your dishes when cranked.
Onboard audio will never sound as good as a dedicated card to process your audio :)
Old February 8, 2008, 01:20 PM
Top Prospect

i'm not in a hurry to buy (i'm moving out of my parents house in june). The only thing missing in my config is the audio side. my altec lansing are at least 6 years old ( Amazon.com: Altec Lansing ACS45.2 PowerCube Computer Speakers (3-Piece): Electronics ) . i was thinking of maybe the logitech g51 for the speakers, and the auzentech HDA X-plosion.

Last edited by djnocide; February 8, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old February 8, 2008, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ah okay, those aren't the altecs I was thinking about. These are:

NextGen Electronics - Altec Lansing VS4121 Speaker System Review

enab, I can't argue with that. I'm just saying I'd get my speakers up to snuff before my card, everyone had different priorities. Now all this talk has made me think about a discrete card... hmmmm.
Old February 8, 2008, 07:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by low351 View Post
Ah okay, those aren't the altecs I was thinking about. These are:

NextGen Electronics - Altec Lansing VS4121 Speaker System Review

enab, I can't argue with that. I'm just saying I'd get my speakers up to snuff before my card, everyone had different priorities. Now all this talk has made me think about a discrete card... hmmmm.
I HAVE THOSE SPEAKERS IM USING THEM THIS INSTANT THEY FING RULE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GOT THEM FOR 68 ON SALE LIKE 3 YEARS AGO THEM WITH MY X-FI XTREME GAMER OWNS MY LITTLE ROOM LOL
Old February 9, 2008, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverclan View Post
I HAVE THOSE SPEAKERS IM USING THEM THIS INSTANT THEY FING RULE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GOT THEM FOR 68 ON SALE LIKE 3 YEARS AGO THEM WITH MY X-FI XTREME GAMER OWNS MY LITTLE ROOM LOL
Reaver just to clarify I wasn't dissing the VS4121, in fact they are one of the best deals around.

When I spoke about getting speakers up to snuff I was meaning that dj has an older version of the Altecs that aren't as good and he is willing to put $150-200 on a new sound card, IMHO he needs better speakers. Yours would do fine, just no optical.