Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Upgrade from modded HD555?

As the topic states, I'm looking for an upgrade to my HD555's right now, as I'm itching for a new set of headphones that will blow me away. The 555's I have currently are pretty good, but I'd like something that isn't so bass... anemic, if that makes sense. With that in mind, I've been looking at the following:

AKG K702/K701/Q701

Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880, both 250 ohms

Sennheiser HD 558/598

I usually listen to electronic, rock, and classical music (I know, very different genres ), so anything that can handle those genres well along with the occasional gaming session would be awesome. Budget is around 300, not including tax, so if you can find a better alternative set of cans around that budget, feel free to let me know Thanks in advance!
Old June 26, 2011, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't look at the K7XX series if you think the bass from the 555s are anemic, but they are very good for classical.

DT880 600ohm would be your best choice since I remember it uses the same drivers as the T1 tesla (not the 80 or 250 ohm ver.)

The 598..is meh at best, and really don't belong in the same category as the Beyers.

Other choices may include the new Shure 940 if you like things to be analytical. You can even try out the Fischer Audio FA-011 which should fit your music choice

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old June 27, 2011, 12:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, AKG generally has a dry, clinical sound-signature. Very detailed, flat, accurate sound-stage, and due to this, not exciting, and definitely anemic on the bass. I can attest to this on the K701's. The 702's and Q701's you'll have to do your own research on to make sure, I haven't looked at cans since I found my perfect setup. To get the most out of AKG's, you'll want an amp.

The Beyer DT770's have very strong bass, but I'd argue too strong for many types of music. Plus, the midrange is less than neutral and the overbearing bass makes it even harder to distinguish. Lots of people attest to these for gaming, but I definitely wouldn't want them as an all-around can. The DT880's are more articulate than the DT770's and have much lighter bass. They are an open and airy sounding can. I don't think you'd be happy with the 880's. Beyers will also require an amp to get the most out of them. The low impedance 880's are one exception.

Sennheiser generally has a very laid back sound. Slower attacks and decays, warm, orchestra hall-like sound-stage, extended bass. The exception in the consumer line is the HD595 which Sennheiser released in response to fans wanting a more forward-sounding and exciting set of cans. The other exceptions are some of their professional studio cans. I cannot speak to the specific cans you listed. I have the HD650's which I use for classical and some ambient. You'll definitely want an amp with most Sennheisers. Some are OK without one, such as the HD555's, 595's and some others.

My suggestion? The Denon AH-D2000's. Great all-around cans and my go-to pair. Neutral mids, good highs, slightly tighter than neutral sound-stage (great for wide variety of rock and electronica), good attack and decay, good details. Also, the bass in my opinion is perfect. I definitely like my bass stronger than neutral but not crazy like the flab the 770's put out. It's extended and strong but not overbearing. Furthermore, they're comfortable and low impedance (work great even out of MP3 players).

Some reviews: Denon AH-D2000 - Sealed Headphones| HeadRoom Audio
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones Headphones review - Trusted Reviews

Last edited by YukonTrooper; June 27, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old June 27, 2011, 02:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I use Shure's 840's, probably the best buy in my life really...
As an audio geek, having heard hundreds of cans, couldn't find anything under 500$ that can be a match for them.
They do need a 70-80 hours of burn-in to get the full deep bass, but the accuracy of sound details is unbelievable right out of the box.
Truly recommended. :)
Old June 27, 2011, 07:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the help, everyone! By the looks of it, it seems to be between the SRH940 and the D2000. Upon searching several sites, it seems I can get the D2000's for a little cheaper than the SRH940's (about 20 dollars, to be exact). Is there really any differences between the two, and if so, which would be a better purchase?
Old June 27, 2011, 08:30 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
Thanks for the help, everyone! By the looks of it, it seems to be between the SRH940 and the D2000. Upon searching several sites, it seems I can get the D2000's for a little cheaper than the SRH940's (about 20 dollars, to be exact). Is there really any differences between the two, and if so, which would be a better purchase?
If you go with the D2000's just be careful with them, I have seen many posts on other forums with people breaking them due to their weak hinges. Though you really couldn't go wrong with either
Old June 27, 2011, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalieman077 View Post
If you go with the D2000's just be careful with them, I have seen many posts on other forums with people breaking them due to their weak hinges. Though you really couldn't go wrong with either
Hm, now that worries me. I used to have a pair of Altec Lansing noise canceling headphones, but those broke because of a very weak plastic hinge connecting the headband and the cans.

If that's the case, then it looks like the SRH940 wins. Thanks for the info
Old June 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
Hm, now that worries me. I used to have a pair of Altec Lansing noise canceling headphones, but those broke because of a very weak plastic hinge connecting the headband and the cans.

If that's the case, then it looks like the SRH940 wins. Thanks for the info
I'm sure you will be happy with the SRH940s, I had the 840s for a few weeks and they sounded better than my AD700s IMO but my head is too big so they weren't too comfy, still loved em though.
Old June 27, 2011, 11:20 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post

Other choices may include the new Shure 940 if you like things to be analytical. You can even try out the Fischer Audio FA-011 which should fit your music choice
Have you been able to hear the 940's yet?
Old June 27, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

FYI the the 940's are very light on the bass. Very detailed can, extended highs. Akin to the AKG's but not as smooth. Per your original post, I don't think they're what you're looking for. They're also hard to drive and therefore good amplification is highly suggested.

As far as the D2000 hinges are concerned, I've had my pair for two years and haven't had any issues. Also, where are you looking at the price? The cheapest I can find is a US seller on eBay letting them go for $250 + $35 USPS International Express shipping.