Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2011, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
A $25 well invested in a Freud blade. One of those things that you hesitate to buy and once you use it, you're like OMGosh why didn't I do this waaay before?!?! It cuts really well.
+10

A good blade can save so much time in the long run since the cuts are so clean... and save money in the long run because they stay sharper longer. Freud is great quality for the price, and you can get them nearly everywhere. I got my TS blade shipped in from New Jersey so not nearly as convenient. Same with router bits - buy the good stuff. I get all my router bits from Lee Valley, they make most of their bits in-house and since you're in Ottawa you're close to the mother ship. I have a 1/4" upspiral bit (solid carbide) from them. Once when using it doing a circle cut fro a driver I guess I didn't tighten the collet in the router all the way and the bit vibrated out. I stopped cuting because something didn't sound right. Everything was cutting fine and the router wasn't grunting at all but the sound was 'off' so I stopped. Turned out the bit came out so far that it went straight through the backer board and was starting to rout into my cast iron table saw top.

That was ~2 years ago and I've use the bit a ton since and it's still razor sharp.

Pickup some of this stuff and clean your blades/bits every so often to get the burnt on crap off, they'll cut a lot nicer longer.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old July 3, 2011, 08:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

That's good to know, I'm going to pickup the HK AVR 635 tomorrow and om my way back I'll stop at LV to blow some dough ...

Gonna grab a 3/4 round over and a 45 degree bit to scallop the holes for my mids.

One cabinet is almost done, only missing front and back, but it can stand up on it's own. Need to make a last order with Solen first since I forgot to order feet and I kinda need to make my holes before I can't access the inside.
Old July 5, 2011, 06:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

Picked up my HK AVR 635 ... man it looooooooks gooood! That thing is 3 times the weight of my old receiver, it reeks of quality! Not a fan of the remote, its HUGE! But the front plate is classy with the little blue lighting in the volume control!

Went to Lee Valley ... they didn't have what I wanted in stock so he suggested I order online since it's free shipping until July 10th, and 170$ later for 3 router bits I'm ready to make some front baffles (once the the bits come in).

Been busy gluing things together the last few day...wish I had more clamps!! Would go faster for sure.

The second tower is almost complete, going to try and route the back port so I can glue it today or tomorrow.

The 4" port. What do you guys use to make it hold together ... hot glue?

Old July 5, 2011, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wow you're making good progress! you work faster than I do.

Yeah those big bits can get expensive.
do you have a flush trim bit yet? Easiest way to make 'accurate' edges. AFAIK LV only has 1/4" flush trim bits which are nice for smaller work but not really up to the task of these big projects. I got a Freud 1/2" flush trim from home depot and works awesome on the big stuff - though the carbide isn't as good as what lee valley uses so there's little tiny nicks in the cutting edges but the little ridges it leaves sands off easily.

For holding the port pieces together you can use anything, hot glue, tape, etc.. Might want to use something removable though so you can play with the port tuning if you want to.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old July 5, 2011, 08:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

Yeah when I want to finish something I usually muscle through and keep going. It's not as sexy as the other Statements builds with all the dry glue than ran down the sides but eh, it's inside the cabinet!

I do indeed have a Freud straight flush bit, 1/2". Works wonders with MDF, just eats it, but holy cow does it ever makes a lot of dust. You can notice that the top of the cabinet isn't flush as I will flush route it probably tomorrow.

Good idea on the tape just in case. I'll just get some good old Duct Tape.

Yeah, ordered a 1/2" plunge bit to make the drivers holes.

That thing is SCARY looking. But the 1/2" just goes om nom nom with MDF and since I make my own circle jig, I can use what ever I want bit wise.

A 3/4 round over with 1/2" shank, same for a 45 degrees chamfer, 1/2" shank. Heavy Duty.

It's funny, they are cheaper than Home Depot ($) but you are saying they use better carbide. Cool! I know the plunge bit you could get it in HSS for 20$ or carbide for 66$. Planning on using them for awhile (I'm only 22) so might as well get the good stuff, and I have 2 routers now (a bit by accident) and wow ... so much easier when one is my dedicated plunge and the other one does flush and rounding over jobs. I just need a proper router table and table saw now. Home Depot has a humongous Rigid one for 599$ ... I drool every team I walk near it. One day. I doubt my dad would appreciate him losing his garage for good until I move out (he parks the car in the garage during the winter).
Old July 5, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Heh I have those same bits too (3/4" R.O. and chamfer). They got about half a mile worth of edging on them and still perfect. +1 on multiple routers too. I've got a DW621 that is my goto router and love it - absolutely amazing dust collection on this one. 2 trim routers, one has a 1/4" flushtrim and the other a 1/8 RO permanently installed. My router table has a 3.25hp plunge that is permanently mounted in the table, actually I'm in the middle of DIYing a proper router lift for it. Do you have some info on your DIY circle jig? I made one for my router but the pin can only be outboard of the base so only large radius cuts. I'm looking for good ideas for an adjustable one that can locate the pivot pin inside the base for small holes.

As for the TS, I'm sure that Rigid is up to the task but if it were me I'd probably stick to a name brand like Delta or eqiv. just for the fact that 20 years from now if you need a part you'll be able to get it. Just my 2cents. Also if you're willing to go to that price point might want to consider a cabinet saw - if you can give up the square footage. The fence is the most important part though. If you feel like DIYing your own I made a clone of a Beisemeyer. I had a good chance to look over the real deal, mine is heavier and more rigid but not as pretty. I sold the fence that came with my Delta TS and built this one for ~$60, though I haven't finished putting alle the trimmings on yet like the cam lock. Here's a link to a thread on it if you're interested. Also check out this guy's site for lots of DIY goodies to go with a TS. I love his all wooden bandsaw - I just might build one.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old July 5, 2011, 10:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

I used a 1/4" MDF piece. For my pin I'm using a nail with it's head cut off. Worked perfectly for the 3/4" MDF ... might have to figure something out for 1 1/4". Basically nail goes 1/4 in the mdf circle jig, through the 3/4 and I had an extra piece under where the nail also went through to keep the cut straight when it cuts through.

I'll get some pics up when I'm home tonight.

The part is figuring out the radius of the circles
Old July 5, 2011, 12:28 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Great job so far!

Thanks for that link, Biff. Some of those projects and tools are amazing...
Old July 5, 2011, 07:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

And here is the picture.

Old July 6, 2011, 12:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

A little more progress.

My new router bits should be in tomorrow or Friday, hopefully I can make a big push this weekend!