Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2011, 07:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

Seems on first calculations I will be able to drop the height from 55" to 49", but with different volume = different port dimensions, hopefully some gentle soul at the HTguide forum will be nice enough to figure that out for me.

By re-reading Curt's post about the new unshielded drivers, he says they can simply be dropped in the old design and still work. I'm not sure my amateur ears would be able to tell the difference.

And how does one tune a driver 3-4Hz higher? Is it done with the crossover?
Old June 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
By re-reading Curt's post about the new unshielded drivers, he says they can simply be dropped in the old design and still work. I'm not sure my amateur ears would be able to tell the difference.
TBH I think there would be very minimal audible difference. Some times a designer will tune the enclosure to get a hump in the response - to augment the transfer function of the XO. I really doubt that is the case here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
And how does one tune a driver 3-4Hz higher? Is it done with the crossover?
Nothing to do with the XO. To tune higher you shorten the port length slightly. If you are going to recalculate it your self try to find real measured parameters performed by a third party of the drivers (i.e. don't use the manufacturers data). IIRC Paul Carmody measured and compared extensively the old vs. new on the Parts Express forum.

Though you could just contact Curt to get his blessing on the changes you want to make.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old June 28, 2011, 03:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

After posting I did just that, fired an email to Curt and got an answer 2 hours later. What an awesome guy he is! He offered to test everything for me and come up with a number. Turns out with his own personal tests and not the manufacturer specs, it will be an almost perfect match with the same dimensions as before.

After a couple emails back and forth, I submitted my plans and got Curt's blessing.

Here it is, sorry my computer drawing skills are non-existent ...

And since we like pictures !!!! Here's a sexy little shot.

Old June 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yup, Curt's a great guy to deal with. Most of the designers are typically very helpful - as long as you're asking a reasonable question and not looking for a full redesign.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old June 28, 2011, 06:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

It's funny ... the capacitor in the bottom left is the biggest I used in the TriTrix ... much different build this time, perhaps hot glue will not be sufficient. Zip ties?
Old June 28, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes I can attest to the fact those Tang Band 1337's are fragile as heck. I was moving my speakers and two out of the four got dented. So far I have not yet noticed any change in the sound quality (these are far above and beyond anything I've had in the past), but I did order two to replace them. They're sitting in a box for the one day I decide to do a little bit of work.

What amplifier are you pairing these with? These things are tough to drive and a regular consumer amp from FS will make them sound anemic.

Also, use an electric turkey carver to cut the foam. Supposedly helps keep your cuts straight :)
Old June 28, 2011, 07:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

From what I've heard a good brand high-end receiver will be able to drive them, perhaps not do them justice, but it's a start.

I'm in the amp market right now ... another great spot to blow my dough.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Since you're in the DIY mood.... link.

I've got the 258 kit but haven't used it yet. These have nothing but glowing reviews. Well I did find one bad review but the guy was running it off some esoteric passive preamp. Long story short that preamp had too high an output impedance and didn't play nice with the amp. One he ditched the preamp and ran it straight in he was blown away and proceeded to sell his tube amps. Yeah these are even converting some tube guys - and you know how those tube guys are about their tubes. Have a look into them and FWIW email the guy before you buy if you decide to. The 258 kit I got didn't have a spec for 4 Ohm operation but the literature implied that it could do it. The guy (can't remember his name) told me it can do it but don't expect the full 500W, probably only just over 400W. Oh darn! He also modded the board slightly to make it play nicer with 4 Ohm loads free of charge.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old June 29, 2011, 05:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

I mean I understand the basics and all ... wiring seems simple enough, at least the manual seems to describe the process, but can it be put in a case? Where is the volume control?

Edit : So I noticed that my receiver has a line out at the back with a L and R rca connectors. Could those go to the amp and I control the volume from my receiver (in this case acting as a preamp only)?

Last edited by ADay2Long; June 29, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, hook up the pre-outs from your receiver to the discrete amp. Use volume control on your receiver.
If you're building this yourself, you'll want to add a 12V trigger so when you turn on the receiver it will turn on the amp.

If you want a pre-built, the Emotiva XPA series pairs up nicely with the Statements. The only downside is the size.. it's deeper than most AV equipment.