Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2011, 09:03 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full Size Headset Review Comment Thread

Gaming headsets may be a dime a dozen and most either have glaring issues or are priced far above most people's budgets. SteelSeries thinks they have a product which bucks this trend by redesigning and old classic: the Siberia V2. This headset is supposed to offer high fidelity sound along with a unique retractable microphone but can it compete against some of the more entrenched gaming-oriented units on the market?

[ Read full article ]
Old May 18, 2011, 06:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
but when most serious gaming enthusiasts think “SteelSeries” they thing “keyboards” or “mice”.
Typo first paragraph
Old May 18, 2011, 08:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
To be blunt, leather is hot and leather does not breathe
Since when does leather not breathe?
Honestly, that's where I stopped reading.

I've had that headset for 4 months now. On weekends at night, I can game from 9pm straight to 2am with very little breaks here and there. So that's about 5 straight hours with a headset on my head. Not once did it hurt my ear or felt uncomfortable. I have small ears, and I beleive my whole ears are sitting inside the cup. My computer room is rather small and it hosts a few computers. It gets really hot in that room(24-26degrees) and not once did I suffer sweaty ears(but everyone's different).

The wire is a pain in the arse. There are 2 "controllers" on the wire, and it makes it too heavy.

The whole thing feels cheap! I'm afraid to break it every single time I pick it up. With my previous headset I installed a hook on the side of my desk, so I could easily store the headset away when not in use. There is no way in hell I'd put the Siberia on the hook for off times. I'm too afraid of it breaking. Instead I lay it down flat on the top of my computer case.

The retractable mic is great. I don't use it for Ventrillo or anything like that but, I use it for voice recognition in Windows 7 and it's been great since day one. I can be very quiet to not wake the baby sleeping in the next room and the mic still picks up my commands.

According to my standards, it's a decent headset; but it feels cheap and you'll be afraid to handle it.
My previous headset... was my girlfriend's for a few years, then I used it for 2 years. I changed it for the Siberia not because it didn't work anymore. I switched only because I wanted a better "surround sound" experience. I'll be very surprised if this Siberia headset can last half as long as my previous set did.

Last edited by blaze_125; May 18, 2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
Since when does leather not breathe? .
Since when does leather allow the passage of air?

I have this headset as well and I love it in almost every way. My experience with the ear cups is that they indeed do NOT breathe and cause a buildup of sweat. Wait until you use them in the summer or in a slightly warmer room; you'll be complaining as well.

Usually when used as upholstery for cars, leather is perforated with very tiny holes under the driver's butt and in the area where the lower back touches. On higher end cars the holes, are usually put into the stitching at intervals between thread loops. The Siberia features neither of these features.

As for the cheapness, I actually find them an improvement over the original Siberia headset; one which I owned for the better part of two years. That thing was a trooper and finally gave up the ghost when my girlfriend's rabbit chewed through the cord...
Old May 18, 2011, 11:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Since when does leather allow the passage of air?
Top dollar shoes are made of leather because it breathes.
Top dollar jackets are made of leather because it breathes.
Top dollar wrist watch bands are made of leather because it breathes.

Or do I have my sh!t reversed?

Quote:
Usually when used as upholstery for cars, leather is perforated with very tiny holes under the driver's butt and in the area where the lower back touches. On higher end cars the holes, are usually put into the stitching at intervals between thread loops
Isn't that perforation to allow A/C or heated air to be "forced" through the seat?
If not for forced air, I'd suggest it gets perforated because leather doesn't breath as much as fabric, but I'm positive leather does breath, as opposed to faux-leather and latex type stuff.

Quote:
As for the cheapness, I actually find them an improvement over the original Siberia headset;
That, I couldn't say. Since I never owned the first crop I can only compare to what I've had in the past.

btw, the second part of my first post wasn't an attack on your review. It is simply a second opinion coming from someone who's owned the Siberia V2 for some time now.

Last edited by blaze_125; May 18, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Leather doesnt breathe. Never has, never will. Leather items that are in direct contact with skin get "sticky" as leather is actually a decent insulator.

But dont worry mate, we take very little personally. Another POV on any item is ALWAYS welcome here. :)

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 18, 2011, 01:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Leather doesnt breathe. Never has, never will. Leather items that are in direct contact with skin get "sticky" as leather is actually a decent insulator.

But dont worry mate, we take very little personally. Another POV on any item is ALWAYS welcome here. :)
I'm confused now...

Answers.com - What do you mean when leather breathes
Quote:
Leather has to allow the movement of moisture back and forth for it to be leather.
This movement otherwise known as transpiration allows the leather to remain soft and pliable and has always been termed as allowing the leather to 'breathe'. If leather is completely sealed and the moisture flow does not take place then it cannot be classed as leather.
The breathability of leather allows small particles of moisture to move back and forth through the leather and this is what keeps it in good condition. Once the moisture levels in leather drop it becomes dry and brittle.
Any finishes used on leather have to allow for this movement of moisture
Leather Association - FAQ
Quote:
What kinds of products can be used to keep my leather looking great?
Be sure to choose products meant for your item. Carefully read and follow the instructions for best results. Never use household products, waxes, silicone or any other preparations that impair the leather's ability to breathe.
I thaught people bought leather watch bands specifically because of the breathability?
With a plastic watch band, your wrist gets wet.
With a leather watch band, your wrist doesn't get wet, or not as much.

Last edited by blaze_125; May 18, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:56 PM

The "breathe" part of their information is in relation to longevity and aestetics rather than the ability of air or moisture to pass through the material. This is much like wood on a tabletop; to retain its optimum look, it should be left open to the natural environment so the wood can "breathe".

What AkG was referring to in his review is the leather's inability to allow sweat to be dispersed or absorbed in any meaningful way. As such, it doesn't allow the area to "breathe" like some cloth-based ear cups.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not tiring to get caught in the middle of this but as someone that has wore leather 10 hours a day 5 days a week for 18 years, carpenters pouch, Yes leather does breath, does it breath as well as fabric? No definitely not.
Add to how the leather has been finished will greatly affect how it breathes.

So you are both right to a degree, I do understand what AkG is getting at as a finished leather product it probably breathes worth crap though but that would be due to the type of finish applied to the leather.

Now back to the headset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 18, 2011, 06:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Now back to the headset.
this is what hangs on the wire. That's alot of stuff for something that should be so simple.
Attached Images