Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2011, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Default 5.1 & 7.1 question

Hey guys,

I would like to upgrade my 2.1 Altec lansing speaker to 5.1 or 7.1.
I wonder do i need a new sounds card to replace the onboard sounds card in order to run the 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system?
ALso, is it possible connecting two 2.1 speaker into 4.2 or 4.1 speakers system?
Thanks
Old May 17, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

a good chance for 5.1 you won't need a new sound card. for 7.1 possibly. IMHO 7.1 is not really necessary as so little content actually uses it. You can do something like a 4.2, 5.2 etc. But normally that would require including a receiver that has multiple sub outputs.

Old May 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplapmax View Post
Hey guys,

I would like to upgrade my 2.1 Altec lansing speaker to 5.1 or 7.1.
I wonder do i need a new sounds card to replace the onboard sounds card in order to run the 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system?
ALso, is it possible connecting two 2.1 speaker into 4.2 or 4.1 speakers system?
Thanks
Do you have the proper ability to run 5.1? A lot of people want to run it but don't ever set it up properly.

And if your gonna look into a 5.1 I'd highly suggest a good soundcard.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would agree with enaberif.

In the hunt for better sound and getting the feeling we are more submersed in the movie/game. We tend to think more is always better. I installed Home Theaters for years, and seeing how many people have 5.1 or even 7.1/7.2 systems that are in stereo and never gaining what surround sound really is designed to do. Here is my check list in selling a surround sound or a great pair of stereo with sub

1. Can you install the back speakers properly (are they going to be behind you and how far away from the ear) now you can normally adjust the speaker lvl with better systems ie motherboard audio out/sound card/ receiver.

2. What experience are you looking for? (are you looking for movie theaters style with sounds coming over your shoulders to make you feel like your there/or are you looking for better sound in general more explosions and really good sound crisp and clear.

3.What is your price point? I know most people always think you can get more for less but in reality you get what you pay for and if your looking to get 5 speakers that are always the same size all around well in my opinion this tends not to be the best sound for everything. Movies and games will work out but your front stage (meaning your left, center, right front speakers) will suffer and your low freq will suffer with smaller speakrs as your front stage.

hopefully this will help you figure out what your really looking for, I would go for a studio style speaker with a 6 1/2 mid and a tweeter and add a sub over going with a 5.1/7.1 set up this gives you really good sound and great bass and then you can add from here if you look for better components. As for sound cards I am just doing the transition from home theaters to computers but sound still stays the same.