Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Speaker re-foaming kits

I have some Acoustic Research 48B units hanging around here but the 10" woofers badly need new foam.(there are also two 16Bs that are in the same situation) I am aware of the rough process of this operation though I have never actually done it. However, I am sure this can be accomplished well enough.

But what I am here asking is about what kit I want and where to get it from.

I presume that I want to go with normal(?) generic(?) foam because that is what these speakers had originally and not some plastic or coated fabric stuff, right? Or are there differing types of foamy foam or something retarded like that?

On these AR dealies, the foam is glued to the back of the cone instead of the front, will that be of any concern when selecting a kit? I am no driver guru but I do know they have to be centred, I suppose the foam is probably not strong enough nor thick to really mess with the front-back positioning but audio stuff is frikkin voodoo half the time (not unlike SCSI in old Macs) and I do not want to cause undue stress to the foam or affect the cone's natural movement in any way that might affect the sound quality.
Is this concern unjustified?

I am to measure the foam, or what is left of it at it's outer and inner diameters to get my needed size, correct?

And finally(I think), a recommendation on where to get this stuff. Canada _only_! No ebay/paypal, no fedupex, no united parcel smashers. Is there a good place I should be going to?
Old May 5, 2011, 01:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey, SCSI was awesome! Mind you, the simplicity of SATA is quite nice now.....

I will be looking for replies to your query, however....
Old May 5, 2011, 10:38 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hi Mac the best place to go to is here
Canuck Audio Mart Canada's Largest Online Hifi, Audio & Home Theater Classifieds these guys are great and the knowledge is second to none
Hope this helps.

Old May 5, 2011, 08:54 PM
Top Prospect

eBay is the place to shop. 100's of Sellers carring these kits.