Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Headphones Klipsh Image S4 vs MEElectronics A151 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/43015-headphones-klipsh-image-s4-vs-meelectronics-a151.html)

miggs78 May 2, 2011 05:47 PM

Headphones Klipsh Image S4 vs MEElectronics A151

Hello folks...

So as the title says, please help me with a pair of iem headphones. Currently looking at these two, other suggestions are welcome.

Budget, trying to keep things under $100 if possible... Thanks.. :whistle:

JMCD May 2, 2011 07:58 PM

I got the Klipsch S4's off ebay for about $60. Great set of buds, bass is really nice if they're seated in your ear properly. They have 3 sets of buds to fit all ears, so I personally find them to be very comfortable. I wouldn't say they are worth $100, but maybe $70 or so. They are one of the better options in that price range, and that's why I went with them.

Lpfan4ever May 2, 2011 08:26 PM

I actually just bought the A151's. I find they give guitars and vocals a very nice sound while having a decent sound stage and decent bass. The thing I dislike about them is all the lovely guitar sounds seem to drown out the drumming, which I like listening to specifically. What kind of music do you listen to? Jackie will pop in here eventually and tell you something that'll blow your mind. (Or something like that)

miggs78 May 7, 2011 12:13 PM

Just a little bump.. couple more suggestions would be appreciated. Haven't seen Jackie in couple days either...

Lpfan4ever May 7, 2011 12:51 PM

A big factor I think is which type of music you listen to as each will accent them in different ways. The S4's come with the three sizes of single flange tips, the A151's have the three sizes of single flange, a set of double flange and a set of triples. Seems the S4's are easier worn cord down, and the A151's are better over the ear. They're both 3mm nozzle size, which is good if you have narrow canals like I do. I really like the A151's cord though, pretty much no microphonics from it, even when walking or running.

Take a look at this thread if you haven't, and search for codes:
(2C3) - for the S4
(2C26) - for the A151

Main thing I've noticed is the A151's go more for accuracy, while the S4's have a more bass heavy sound. It's just a matter of which you prefer.

miggs78 May 7, 2011 01:17 PM

Thanks Lpan (or Ipan)... I've read multiple reviews on head-fi.. The only thing making me iffy about the A151s is I bought a pair of M6s.. and like most reviews say, to get the right fit is a PITA, I'm giving up on it, I can't seem to find a proper fit and seal off course....

But all the reviews on the A151 for comfort are good. On the other hand I've used some Panasonic headphones that have oval eartips similar to the Klpisch, and they are super comfy for me, hence the Klipsch..

I've also looked at the Mee CC51, super nice headphones. They are on sale on newegg for $79.99 w/ free shipping.

Off course the main thing is where to buy, shipping is expensive wherever I buy (well sort of ... the A151s on newegg are $79.99 w/ $4.99 shipping.

Oh before I forget, I listen to music that has beats, so techno/trance, dance, remixes, pop, rock.. umm.. I do occasionally listen to country music or soft music, but I can handle metal or heavy rock or something like that. I've had a pair of Maximo iM 590 suggested by Jackie, very nice pair of headphones, but I find the tips too big, I've tried the sony hybrid tips, but those make the headphones slip out. I can still wear them on, but the microphonics on those are just terrible, even if I wear it over the ear.

Lpfan4ever May 7, 2011 01:37 PM

I use a double flange in my left and triple in my right with my A151's, haven't tried the singles yet. I too have a hard time with tips fitting properly, but I've never seen/tried oval tips before. The M6's have bigger nozzles and that god awful memory wire, so that may have been something that aided in the crap fit. The A151's are light and I haven't had an issue with them popping out yet, and the lack of memory wire makes me so damn happy over the Super.Fi's I was using beforehand.

With all of that said however, I don't know if the A151's really suit the type of music you listen to, as (I'd think) the music is generally bass heavy, but correct me if I'm wrong of course. It sucks that there's no real way to try before you buy, because there's no definitive answer.

miggs78 May 8, 2011 07:12 PM

Yea I wish we could try them before buying. Where would you buy a pair of those Klipsch, I see lots on ebay but dunno how expensive the shipping costs are, any idea Lpan ?

Jackquelegs May 8, 2011 07:52 PM

I'm a member of the "anything but S4" club. Not very good build quality, or sound quality. With a bloated mid-bass and meh everything else, it's an obsolete model compared to the A151, or any modern budget IEMs

Other choices could include
Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape
Fischer Audio Eterna
Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass Earphones PFE-012

Another choice is the new Shure SE215 which retails for 99.99, VERY well rounded set

miggs78 May 8, 2011 08:12 PM

Jackie thanks man.. So... minus the Klipsch Image S4... well since it is coming from you (and you have tried quite a bunch of headphones) I'll take the suggestion.

I've never been able to afford a Shure headphone, but I've heard very good things about them. One question for you between the Phonaks and Shure which would you choose since they are only $10 in difference...