Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2011, 05:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Looking for solid headphones and mic suggestion

So I recently snapped the left side of my beloved Tritton AX PC Pro's in half and I'm thinking about going big to replace them.
The old:

I'm considering going with a mic and separate headphones instead of a headset this time around. I have little to no knowledge of the audio other than my trittons sounded amazing, I especially loved the fact they had a dedicated bass driver that could violently shake my earlobes.

So I'm resorting to the obvious option to help me decide: the opinions of the knowledgeable HWC community.

I'm currently considering a blue yeti microphone and sennheiser hd518.

The blue yeti looks appealing as I voice chat at least 4 hours a day and up to 18 hours, I love to sing and I was/might be considering looking into a career in voice acting. My biggest concern is that I have no idea about microphones and would really like to know if the blue yeti is overrated/overpriced and what alternatives there are without going too far into outer space with the price.
link: Blue Yeti Microphone Info page
pic:

Sennheiser HD 518s: From what I've seen Sennheiser headphones are top notch. I was interested in getting some HD555s or HD595s but it looks like they've been discontinued so I was thinking about getting the HD518s as they look promising and don't demolish the bank. I'd love to hear suggestions from people who follow the audio market closely.
link: Sennheiser HD 518 product page
pic:
Old April 23, 2011, 06:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Those 518's look almost identical to the 555's and 595's. I've got a set of 595's myself and they're great headphones. I'm sure the 518's are no different. If you're actually looking to get a decent mic, then I guess what you posted is alright. If you just used it for gaming or vent or w/e, I would just get a zalman mic.