Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Xonar DG right for me? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/42425-xonar-dg-right-me.html)

jcmaz April 11, 2011 01:59 PM

Xonar DG right for me?

Hey HWC,

Right now i'm using HT Omega Striker, but I realize that I don't use most of the features. I wish to downgrade from the Striker

This is what I use:

5.1 surround sound off a set of Logitech X530
2.1 stereo via Logitech X240
Various headphones and IEM's (<$50)

Is the Xonar DG right for me?

How much of a "downgrade" is this?

Thanks,
Jcmaz

francisw19 April 11, 2011 03:38 PM

Since you're using inexpensive speakers, I don't think the downgrade in sound will be very noticeable, IMO. But, on the flip-side, I've done sound card upgrades in the past and even on cheap speakers, the sound is better. It's a tough call. Without a doubt, though, if your speakers were more high-end, then I'd say this is a bad decision.

I'm guessing you're planning to sell your Omega Striker...so, I think you should just keep it until you know if you're happy with the new sound card. If you don't like it, you can always return it.

ilya April 11, 2011 03:47 PM

The DG is dirt cheap anyhow, go ahead and try it.

I've found the sound accuracy can be worse than onboard sound though. It's due to the bias in the soundcard that makes most music genres sound better. Another issue with the DG is the drivers, but the problems are so abundant and common across all Xonar products, there's plenty of documentation on fixes.

Jackquelegs April 11, 2011 04:21 PM

If you do the math, the process of downgrading and selling your old striker...NOT really worth it :dots:

jcmaz April 11, 2011 04:21 PM

Is that bias changeable? What types of issues are there with their drivers?

EDIT: But I can sell for more than I bought I for...

I mean, I don't have to upgrade, but extra $$$ would be nice :)

Jackquelegs April 11, 2011 04:33 PM

If you want to make a profit out of it, then by all means. You likely won't notice much difference with those equipment

ilya April 11, 2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 505123)
Is that bias changeable? What types of issues are there with their drivers?

EDIT: But I can sell for more than I bought I for...

I mean, I don't have to upgrade, but extra $$$ would be nice :)

There isn't much you can do about the bias, but it's not a big deal unless you're the type that demands bit perfect reproduction, it will probably drive you insane in that case. However, that's IF you can even hear the difference.

For me personally, it makes most of my music sound a lot "prettier" at the cost of a few minor details with negligible impact on movies/games. Details that really get toned down are typically things like the individual string strumming you hear in a lossless guitar recording - not something you're listening for if you're just trying to enjoy your music. The actual chord gets a lot more attention.

As for driver issues, just check out the Asus audio forums, lots of problems but there's always a relatively easy fix that's already been documented. Only things I would watch out for are EMI and electrical noise, the DG is PCI slot powered and has no EMI shielding. So don't run it in between 2 video cards or something like that. You could always do something like wrap insulated tinfoil around the card though.

jcmaz April 11, 2011 09:49 PM

Thank you for your thoughtful posts ilya, Jackquelegs, and francisw19.

I have decided to keep my HT Omega Striker.

/Close Thread!

Delavan April 12, 2011 02:08 PM

I ordered the DG, $14 after MIR...I'll receive it tomorrow. I'll report back.
A relative told me he had problems with his....PITA to setup he said. Too late, mine was already ordered..now I'm curious...If it's no better than my onboard (P8P67 deluxe), I'll just get rid of it...

Any improvements over onboard in reference with EAX EMULATION????

francisw19 April 12, 2011 02:12 PM

I'm curious to see how you like it. If it doesn't work out, at least it was just $14. Believe me...I've thrown waaaay more money down the drain. :haha: