Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2011, 01:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Psyko Carbons

So...there's a big discussion going on at another tech site about the new Psyko Carbon's. I know a few people that have ordered them but haven't recieved them yet. Any thoughts or comments?
Old April 8, 2011, 02:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Waits for Slik to come in raving about it...

Anyways, you're not forbidden to post links to other sites. Why don't you show us?

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 8, 2011, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm here, but not raving yet. I was involved in the discussion over at Guru 3D. I am not going to say one thing in this forum until I have the new version and have had them on my head listening for a while. I don't want to start a riot.lol.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 8, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I think of any of the "new" companies in the gaming headset niche, PA has the most potential. Their first design has/had some big down sides (and to be blunt I dont like them) but IF they learned from their past mistakes....they may just make the "perfect" gaming headset. Are the carbon's it? No idea. Only a LOT of non-biased reviews will show it to be so..one way or the other. But I for one am actually looking forward to seeing those reviews. :)

Edit:

IF what "eSlik" (Im assuming Slik here on HWC) on Guru3D is saying is true and the bass doenst suck and music and movie's in general dont also suck then...Im actually kinda ALMOST excited about them...but it could all be marketing fluff too...like the "gold contacts" making a difference which is almost CERTAINLY fluff.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 8, 2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old April 8, 2011, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I think of any of the "new" companies in the gaming headset niche, PA has the most potential. Their first design has/had some big down sides (and to be blunt I dont like them) but IF they learned from their past mistakes....they may just make the "perfect" gaming headset. Are the carbon's it? No idea. Only a LOT of non-biased reviews will show it to be so..one way or the other. But I for one am actually looking forward to seeing those reviews. :)

Edit:

IF what "eSlik" (Im assuming Slik here on HWC) on Guru3D is saying is true and the bass doenst suck and music and movie's in general dont also suck then...Im actually kinda ALMOST excited about them...but it could all be marketing fluff too...like the "gold contacts" making a difference which is almost CERTAINLY fluff.
Yup,that's me. I have a lot of respect for members of this forum [as I do with Guru members] and I think it's best to wait for a good work out of these things to give a final and NON BIASED opinion. I will say once gain,I am NOT a rep for Psyko and have no interest in that company other than they are Canadian and I truly like the first series I purchased. I will let us all know my honest impressions.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 8, 2011, 10:37 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm... These look interesting. I'd be really interested to see how they pan out. I have an older set of Tritton AX360 Pro's and I love them but find them quite heavy over time and am looking for something lighter. I use a clip-on mic as is because I'm using optical out from my PC. Many suggest to get a solid headphone & separate mic vs. a headset, but the features on these seem to be quite intriguing.

If they can perform as well as $250 headphones, then definitely worth it. I tend to exclude the microphone quality in my purchase decisions.

Can't wait to hear what you think, Slik.
Old April 8, 2011, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Hmm... These look interesting. I'd be really interested to see how they pan out. I have an older set of Tritton AX360 Pro's and I love them but find them quite heavy over time and am looking for something lighter. I use a clip-on mic as is because I'm using optical out from my PC. Many suggest to get a solid headphone & separate mic vs. a headset, but the features on these seem to be quite intriguing.

If they can perform as well as $250 headphones, then definitely worth it. I tend to exclude the microphone quality in my purchase decisions.

Can't wait to hear what you think, Slik.
I should have them by Wednesday.
Old April 8, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I understand that some people aren't into modding and want an easy solution, but I'm a huge fan of buying a separate pair of quality stereo headphones and then spending $10-$15 on a cheap headset, removing the boom-mic from the headset and modding it onto the headphones with some double-sided velcro. That way, for the same price or even less of a "gaming" headset, you have an audiophile grade solution for all media purposes.

I'd even prefer quality stereo headphones plus a desktop mic over a headset, unless I was in an extremely noisy environment. Lots of desktop mics are amazing at blocking out ambient noise while only picking up voice frequencies. Even when playing with speakers at normal levels and using a good desktop mic, noise from the speakers is only very faint on the receiving end.
Old April 8, 2011, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
I understand that some people aren't into modding and want an easy solution, but I'm a huge fan of buying a separate pair of quality stereo headphones and then spending $10-$15 on a cheap headset, removing the boom-mic from the headset and modding it onto the headphones with some double-sided velcro. That way, for the same price or even less of a "gaming" headset, you have an audiophile grade solution for all media purposes.

I'd even prefer quality stereo headphones plus a desktop mic over a headset, unless I was in an extremely noisy environment. Lots of desktop mics are amazing at blocking out ambient noise while only picking up voice frequencies. Even when playing with speakers at normal levels and using a good desktop mic, noise from the speakers is only very faint on the receiving end.
But how else will people know you're different?

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Looks like an overpriced gimmick - just like every other "5.1" headset on the market. Just do as YukonTrooper says, and you'll be much better off.