Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Psyko Carbons (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/42349-psyko-carbons.html)

Bean Counter April 8, 2011 02:51 AM

Psyko Carbons
 
So...there's a big discussion going on at another tech site about the new Psyko Carbon's. I know a few people that have ordered them but haven't recieved them yet. Any thoughts or comments?

Jackquelegs April 8, 2011 03:51 AM

Waits for Slik to come in raving about it...

Anyways, you're not forbidden to post links to other sites. Why don't you show us?

Slik April 8, 2011 06:23 AM

I'm here, but not raving yet. I was involved in the discussion over at Guru 3D. I am not going to say one thing in this forum until I have the new version and have had them on my head listening for a while. I don't want to start a riot.lol.

AkG April 8, 2011 07:56 AM

I think of any of the "new" companies in the gaming headset niche, PA has the most potential. Their first design has/had some big down sides (and to be blunt I dont like them) but IF they learned from their past mistakes....they may just make the "perfect" gaming headset. Are the carbon's it? No idea. Only a LOT of non-biased reviews will show it to be so..one way or the other. But I for one am actually looking forward to seeing those reviews. :)

Edit:

IF what "eSlik" (Im assuming Slik here on HWC) on Guru3D is saying is true and the bass doenst suck and music and movie's in general dont also suck then...Im actually kinda ALMOST excited about them...but it could all be marketing fluff too...like the "gold contacts" making a difference which is almost CERTAINLY fluff. :ph34r:

Slik April 8, 2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 504142)
I think of any of the "new" companies in the gaming headset niche, PA has the most potential. Their first design has/had some big down sides (and to be blunt I dont like them) but IF they learned from their past mistakes....they may just make the "perfect" gaming headset. Are the carbon's it? No idea. Only a LOT of non-biased reviews will show it to be so..one way or the other. But I for one am actually looking forward to seeing those reviews. :)

Edit:

IF what "eSlik" (Im assuming Slik here on HWC) on Guru3D is saying is true and the bass doenst suck and music and movie's in general dont also suck then...Im actually kinda ALMOST excited about them...but it could all be marketing fluff too...like the "gold contacts" making a difference which is almost CERTAINLY fluff. :ph34r:

Yup,that's me. I have a lot of respect for members of this forum [as I do with Guru members] and I think it's best to wait for a good work out of these things to give a final and NON BIASED opinion. I will say once gain,I am NOT a rep for Psyko and have no interest in that company other than they are Canadian and I truly like the first series I purchased. I will let us all know my honest impressions.

Slaughter April 8, 2011 11:37 AM

Hmm... These look interesting. I'd be really interested to see how they pan out. I have an older set of Tritton AX360 Pro's and I love them but find them quite heavy over time and am looking for something lighter. I use a clip-on mic as is because I'm using optical out from my PC. Many suggest to get a solid headphone & separate mic vs. a headset, but the features on these seem to be quite intriguing.

If they can perform as well as $250 headphones, then definitely worth it. I tend to exclude the microphone quality in my purchase decisions.

Can't wait to hear what you think, Slik.

Slik April 8, 2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter (Post 504207)
Hmm... These look interesting. I'd be really interested to see how they pan out. I have an older set of Tritton AX360 Pro's and I love them but find them quite heavy over time and am looking for something lighter. I use a clip-on mic as is because I'm using optical out from my PC. Many suggest to get a solid headphone & separate mic vs. a headset, but the features on these seem to be quite intriguing.

If they can perform as well as $250 headphones, then definitely worth it. I tend to exclude the microphone quality in my purchase decisions.

Can't wait to hear what you think, Slik.

I should have them by Wednesday.

YukonTrooper April 8, 2011 01:39 PM

I understand that some people aren't into modding and want an easy solution, but I'm a huge fan of buying a separate pair of quality stereo headphones and then spending $10-$15 on a cheap headset, removing the boom-mic from the headset and modding it onto the headphones with some double-sided velcro. That way, for the same price or even less of a "gaming" headset, you have an audiophile grade solution for all media purposes.

I'd even prefer quality stereo headphones plus a desktop mic over a headset, unless I was in an extremely noisy environment. Lots of desktop mics are amazing at blocking out ambient noise while only picking up voice frequencies. Even when playing with speakers at normal levels and using a good desktop mic, noise from the speakers is only very faint on the receiving end.

Jackquelegs April 8, 2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukonTrooper (Post 504230)
I understand that some people aren't into modding and want an easy solution, but I'm a huge fan of buying a separate pair of quality stereo headphones and then spending $10-$15 on a cheap headset, removing the boom-mic from the headset and modding it onto the headphones with some double-sided velcro. That way, for the same price or even less of a "gaming" headset, you have an audiophile grade solution for all media purposes.

I'd even prefer quality stereo headphones plus a desktop mic over a headset, unless I was in an extremely noisy environment. Lots of desktop mics are amazing at blocking out ambient noise while only picking up voice frequencies. Even when playing with speakers at normal levels and using a good desktop mic, noise from the speakers is only very faint on the receiving end.

But how else will people know you're different? :haha::haha:

Herrmoo April 8, 2011 05:00 PM

Looks like an overpriced gimmick - just like every other "5.1" headset on the market. Just do as YukonTrooper says, and you'll be much better off.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 PM.