Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2011, 07:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I was hoping that somewhere like bestbuy or Futureshop would carry these so I could honestly try them out. I use to think that the people telling me that Virtual 3D was better than my current 5.1 headphones where full of BS, until I tried them. Like Ive mention before, not that my Tritton's arent good, but now that Ive tried the X-Fi with the AD700s I will never go back to them for FPS gaming.

However, I may still use my Trittons for Xbox gaming when Gears 3 comes out and IF its a worthy purchase, if no one picks them up by then.

I just cant justify buying these online to demo. Maybe a local retailer will eventually start selling them and then I personally would be able to compare, Trittons, X-fi+AD700s, and Carbons.

@Slik -> send me your 2nd headset so I can try them out, I promiss to review them quickly and get them back ASAP! My brother lives in the Sault, He can drive them down for the weekend and have them back to you.

Last edited by Addictedtokaos; April 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old April 22, 2011, 07:28 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Jesus Jackquelegs, STFU. You have not even tried a pair and you are trying to pass off your opinion as fact. Go away. I will never read or trust a review from you as the worst thing a reviewer can have is preconceptions and bias. Annnnnnnd, just because you own an assload of headsets does not make you more qualified than anyone to give opinions. I've played in bands my whole life and the shittiest musicians always seemed to have the best gear.
Old April 22, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Jesus Jackquelegs, STFU. You have not even tried a pair and you are trying to pass off your opinion as fact. Go away. I will never read or trust a review from you as the worst thing a reviewer can have is preconceptions and bias. Annnnnnnd, just because you own an assload of headsets does not make you more qualified than anyone to give opinions. I've played in bands my whole life and the shittiest musicians always seemed to have the best gear.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 22, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Slik glad you like em and think they are a worthy upgrade. I'll see what I can do about requesting a pair for review. Probably wont happen (as PA are less then enthused with my opinion on the originals)...but I wont know till I try. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 22, 2011, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Y SO MAD?

The only thing your post will accomplish is the locking of this thread, or infractions. To be honest, I thought you were smarter than that. As SugarJ already said, I'm just voicing my take and my analysis of how the mechanism of the Psykos are VERY unlikely to be good in sound reproduction. I'm not sure who peed in your cereal today but sure, rage more.

In the end, if the carbons turn out to be "worth" 200$, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, well you get the point

Quote:
BTW: Why did you remove your previous post re:HWC reviewers?
Because I didn't feel like flaming up the thread even more? Unlike what happened in this last page...

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Last edited by Jackquelegs; April 22, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old April 22, 2011, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
I was hoping that somewhere like bestbuy or Futureshop would carry these so I could honestly try them out. I use to think that the people telling me that Virtual 3D was better than my current 5.1 headphones where full of BS, until I tried them. Like Ive mention before, not that my Tritton's arent good, but now that Ive tried the X-Fi with the AD700s I will never go back to them for FPS gaming.

However, I may still use my Trittons for Xbox gaming when Gears 3 comes out and IF its a worthy purchase, if no one picks them up by then.

I just cant justify buying these online to demo. Maybe a local retailer will eventually start selling them and then I personally would be able to compare, Trittons, X-fi+AD700s, and Carbons.

@Slik -> send me your 2nd headset so I can try them out, I promiss to review them quickly and get them back ASAP! My brother lives in the Sault, He can drive them down for the weekend and have them back to you.
Trying the first series won't tell you much about the Carbon series. The Carbons are very much improved and don't sound at all like the originals. Let me think about it though. I will have to do SOMETHING with them as there are TWO original sets here. My wife has a set too and will be getting a set of Carbons.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 24, 2011, 07:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thought I'd share this....just read a review of the Carbons by Chris Comiskey of PC Gamer. He says "The Carbon sounds better than any headset I've ever tested. The audio is routed down from the top of the headband and the speakers are positioned at different angles and locations inside the ear cup (as opposed to traditional headset speakers that all face your ears). The design is perfect. Echoes and thunderstorms surround you from all directions, shouts and groans from bad guys move around your head as you juke and weave through cover, while the sounds of your own gunshots and melee attacks are planted firmly in the center".

Sorry I can't give you a link as I read this in the June 2011 PC Gamer magazine...you know the paper one....
Old April 24, 2011, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Not sure how reliable PC gamers reviews are but you have to find a source you trust. Too many reviews that rave items and if you read the fine print they will basically say "yes Psyko has paid me to say this", or "I do not sell or work for Psyko but they promissed to supply me with free headsets"...
Old April 24, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
Not sure how reliable PC gamers reviews are but you have to find a source you trust. Too many reviews that rave items and if you read the fine print they will basically say "yes Psyko has paid me to say this", or "I do not sell or work for Psyko but they promissed to supply me with free headsets"...
I hardly think PC Gamer needs to have a free set for a review. At the very least,it's a review, and there are very few reviews available yet. You nay sayers really get me. No matter how many good reviews, or good things said about Carbon,you ALWAYS have to add a negative comment whether you have tried them or not. I don't mean "you" in particular Addictedtokaos,I mean the plural. I have a set and they truly out shine all other 5.1 headphones. As far as finding a trusted source goes,I found one. Me! I have them. I use them. I have owned all other 5.1 analog cans and quite a few USB etc. Thus,my being able to make a comparison. The Psyko Carbon headphones are very very good and that fact can not be changed. Get over it! People that knock a product,no matter what product that may be,should at least have tried the product before saying anything,be it pro or con. It's only my opinion,but, an opinion based on my using the product. I'm not paid by Psyko, and I sure didn't get ANYTHING free.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just re-read my post and it does look like I included Addictedtokaos as a nay sayer. I know that is not the case. Sorry my friend. We are fellow Northerners and that makes us neighbors. I'm still thinking of the Psykos for you to try out. I will let you know.