Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
No, I have not. But after looking into them, in theory I cant imaging 3 small drivers sharing 2 tubes could A) sound to good and B) not cancel each other out when sound is coming from 2 or 3 of the channels at the same time.

Again, I use to swear by my trittons, and they are a decent set of gaming headphones. I use to think as well, how can quality stereo headphones compare to the 5.1 super GAMER phones...

Today's Lesson = Quality X-fi Soundcard + Quality headphones with good soundstage>>>>>5.1 gaming gimic-technology.

But this is just my personal opinion. If a friend asked me what they should get, either a X-fi sound card + Quality headphones or 5.1 heaphones, I tell them to go with an X-fi combo.
I don't know where you 'looked into 'them but you are not even close in how the Psyko's are configured. They have 5 30mm drivers in the head band and two 40mm woofers [one in each ear cup] as well as 4 wave guides [tubes] directing surround sound from the head band speakers. If you really want to know how they work, take the time to read ALL of the description provided on the Psyko site. I know it's a long read,but if you really have an interest in this technology,and you are a true hard core gamer,it's well worth the time. I have a set of the original series as does my wife. We have ordered the new Carbon series as we demand the best and most immersive gaming experience in audio AND video etc. There is no question that a good sound card, combined with a good set of stereo headphones will give great sound. The only way to get 5.1 that way is digital. 5.1 analog is the ONLY true 5.1 surround sound available. Period. Take another look my friend.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 13, 2011, 12:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I don't know where you 'looked into 'them but you are not even close in how the Psyko's are configured.
I have looked into it, and Id recommend you research a bit further. The 2 front and center drivers ALL share the same "waveguide" (LOL, I love that word) to the ears. I dont need to be an audiophile to tell you that the 3 sound sources are going to get distorted and mixed on its way to your ears.

Quote:
5.1 analog is the ONLY true 5.1 surround sound available. Period. Take another look my friend.
Do some more reading on this... For your convenience click here

Everyone is free to use what they like, I was just speaking from my experiences after using 5.1 phones vs X-Fi.
Old April 13, 2011, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
I have looked into it, and Id recommend you research a bit further. The 2 front and center drivers ALL share the same "waveguide" (LOL, I love that word) to the ears. I dont need to be an audiophile to tell you that the 3 sound sources are going to get distorted and mixed on its way to your ears.

Do some more reading on this... For your convenience click here

Everyone is free to use what they like, I was just speaking from my experiences after using 5.1 phones vs X-Fi.
It may appear that they share, BUT, the sound is sent at different time intervals. The wave guides or tubes or whatever you want to call them, don't transmit more than one sound at the same time in the same tube. The technology is largely based on those intervals. I know it's boring to read all the info at Psyko,but it's all there if you want it. I, like you,am speaking from my experiences and providing my OPINIONS only. Believe me, I have owned almost EVERY set of 5.1 analog headphones available. Out of all of them,Psyko is without question the very best 5.1 analog headset available today. In my opinion.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 13, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

One more thing. The only way you will get 5.1 surround with stereo headphones no matter how good they are, is digital. The only TRUE 5.1 is Analog.
Old April 13, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Considering ALL audio from computers is DIGITAL it doesnt really matter and "true" anything is a BS term to begin with. In fact, with analog 5.1s your DACs had better be good or your music is going to sound like crap. At least with "digital" 5.1 cans...you get more consistency from rig to rig with them. And there are plenty of "real" 5.1 digitals which use multiple speakers and not just stereo ones ;)

PA can use all the fancy marketing terms they want. The fact of the matter is the original PA's SUCK at music (even with high quality 5.1 audio they simply have too much distortion and sound like mud), SUCK at movies (with movies the FRONT speakers are used the most....not the side ones, which make the experience similar to being at the bottom of a well) and can be good or bad at games. They rely way to heavily on the game engine to get surround sound "right". IMHO they need more end user fine tune-ability to be taken seriously at their intended price niche. NOW if the new ones do indeed manage to do all that, then yes they will be worth the coin...maybe (still a very good argument to be made for high end stereo cans + good soundcard vs them). Otherwise, they too will be overpriced, "all sizzle no steak" HEAVY headphones which will feel like you are wearing a damn motorcycle helmet.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, who cares if it's got more than 2 drivers right!?

/s

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 13, 2011, 05:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Considering ALL audio from computers is DIGITAL it doesnt really matter and "true" anything is a BS term to begin with. In fact, with analog 5.1s your DACs had better be good or your music is going to sound like crap. At least with "digital" 5.1 cans...you get more consistency from rig to rig with them. And there are plenty of "real" 5.1 digitals which use multiple speakers and not just stereo ones ;)
+1

Quote:
It may appear that they share, BUT, the sound is sent at different time intervals. The wave guides or tubes or whatever you want to call them, don't transmit more than one sound at the same time in the same tube.
The more you try and defend the Psyko's the worse they sound. what happens if 2 or 5 or 15 sounds happen simutaneously with this method of delivering sounds? Will there be delays? or you just wouldnt hear them?
Old April 13, 2011, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Kaos, there's no point arguing with Slik. If you check the previous threads on Psyko 5.1 when they first came out, he was over them like hotcakes no matter how badly the reviews were.

Hence, don't waste your time on this matter.

Zephyranthes

Old April 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
Rookie

Addictedtokaos "not cancel each other out when sound is coming from 2 or 3 of the channels at the same time."

i dont think it does not cancle each other out, when your in a room thats 5.1 and you hear sounds coming from your left, that does not mean your right ear cant hear the sound...
Old April 14, 2011, 12:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp-Shooter View Post
Addictedtokaos "not cancel each other out when sound is coming from 2 or 3 of the channels at the same time."

i dont think it does not cancle each other out, when your in a room thats 5.1 and you hear sounds coming from your left, that does not mean your right ear cant hear the sound...
If you distance the speakers at the right separation, the sound will start to cancel. It's called destructive interference, you should look it up.

What kaos is saying is the extreme of such circumstances when you have multiple sound waves from different sources traveling down a shared tube. The sound waves will start to interfere with each other, causing noticeable changes in audio quality. Plus the effects of dampening of the tubes themselves, it's very difficult to maintain sound quality, and is exactly why the first Psyko headset sounded like , and why I believe this set won't change that significantly

Zephyranthes