Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2011, 04:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrmoo View Post
Looks like an overpriced gimmick - just like every other "5.1" headset on the market. Just do as YukonTrooper says, and you'll be much better off.
Every set of 5.1's? How many sets have you owned or tried for comparison?
Old April 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Every set of 5.1's? How many sets have you owned or tried for comparison?
Now THAT,is a very good question. Future Shop can't stock the kazzillion 5.1s available . Not only that,as I am sure you are referring to 5.1 ANALOG headphones,what Yukon Trooper can do,is get a digital 5.1 only. Even with stereo analog headphones you need a digital source of some kind to get 5.1 surround. The absolute only TRUE 5.1 surround is analog. Anyone lumping the two together, simply does not know what the hell they are talking about. I can stick my nose in here because I OWN and have owned pretty much all the 5.1 analog cans available. I have also owned SEVERAL sets of very good stero headphones,both USB and analog. I just can't figure out why some people are so anti 5.1 in headphones. Until you can say you have actually had a GOOD set of 5.1 cans,any nay sayer ought not say anything. Period. Good for you Bean Counter!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

i have been looking into get the Psyko 5.1 headset but does anyone no when there going to be in store and not just on the psyko website
Old April 13, 2011, 06:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccoking View Post
i have been looking into get the Psyko 5.1 headset but does anyone no when there going to be in store and not just on the psyko website
I saw them at Tiger Direct.ca and Memory Express.ca They're $199.00 at Memory Express and $249.00 at Tiger Direct. Why the price difference....go figure.
Old April 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccoking View Post
The Psyko Carbon series was not released until Apr. 7th. They should be showing up every where about now. Go to Psyko site and click on 'Retailers' for a list. I ordered mine right from Psyko,that way,if I have a problem,I will be dealing with the source.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 13, 2011, 08:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have to agree that the 5.1 headphone market is a gimmick which until recently I lived in. 5.1 headphones can be pretty good but now that I have tried both 5.1 vs properly configured x-fi and quality headphones...i'll never go back to the 5.1s
Old April 13, 2011, 08:57 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

How do you properly configure x-fi for positional audio?
Old April 13, 2011, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
I have to agree that the 5.1 headphone market is a gimmick which until recently I lived in. 5.1 headphones can be pretty good but now that I have tried both 5.1 vs properly configured x-fi and quality headphones...i'll never go back to the 5.1s
Does that mean you have actually tried a set of Psyko Carbon 5.1's?
Old April 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
How do you properly configure x-fi for positional audio?
After tons of research and testing different options this is what I found to be the best.

Open Console Launcher:
-on the bottom speaker panel select your speaker setup. if you have headphones, select headphones and NOT 2.0/2.1 speakers.
- Enable X-Fi CMSS-3d, under options set MacroFX to AUTO and ElevationFilter to ON.
- Crystalizer. I personally dont enable it - sounds like crap to me.
- EAX. in the Mixer tab you can disable or enable this. Ive read that for older game and VIsta/7 you need to run Alchemy App for EAX to work. Ive only played Black Ops, and with it enabled the environment sound is amazing. Some might like it disabled for better 3D positioning and the Environmental sounds may distract you.

If you are using headphones AND speakers you will want to disable the Automatically enable headphone settings. That acted all wonky when I had it enabled with my desktop speakers plugged in as well as my headphones.

Last edited by Addictedtokaos; April 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old April 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Does that mean you have actually tried a set of Psyko Carbon 5.1's?
No, I have not. But after looking into them, in theory I cant imaging 3 small drivers sharing 2 tubes could A) sound to good and B) not cancel each other out when sound is coming from 2 or 3 of the channels at the same time.

Again, I use to swear by my trittons, and they are a decent set of gaming headphones. I use to think as well, how can quality stereo headphones compare to the 5.1 super GAMER phones...

Today's Lesson = Quality X-fi Soundcard + Quality headphones with good soundstage>>>>>5.1 gaming gimic-technology.

But this is just my personal opinion. If a friend asked me what they should get, either a X-fi sound card + Quality headphones or 5.1 heaphones, I tell them to go with an X-fi combo.