Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2008, 06:48 PM
Rookie

Question Asus Xonar D2X vs Auzentech Prelude X-Fi

First of all: Hello to everybody in this community! :)

I think I'm not the only one, who doesn't really know which sound card I should take... I've read dozens of reviews... also comparisons of those two cards, but I'm still unsure... so... please help, thanks in advance!

My situation: Currently I'm using the sound card "Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS". I know, that it's not that bad... BUT I recently upgraded my sound speakers to digital ones (went from "Creative Inspire 6.1 6600" to "Teufel Concept E Magnum Digital", which consist of the speakers "Concept E Magnum Power Edition" (5.1 speakers) and the av-receiver "decoderstation 3" (all of the same, german brand Teufel)) and... what else to say... well I should hit myself for not looking onto such important features named DDL and dts interconnect / dts neo pc not that long ago... when I bought the Creative sound card...
Yes, I'm also a bit mad of Creative, that the Fatal1ty FPS doesn't support those features... but in the end it was my fault...

Because of that I decided to switch sound card... I also wanted to say, that I'm using Windows Vista x64 as primary operating system (no I'm not using WinXP anymore).
How have I attached the speakers? Via optical cable to the digital receiver, there I've attached the speakers.
What's the use of the sound card? I listen music or watch DVDs only with the digital speakers. On games (yes I'm also playing on the pc) I'm using the digital speakers and sometimes (especially when playing shooters) I'm also playing with an analog (non usb, i.e. attached to the sound card) headset, not a very good one though... named "Sharkoon Cosmic 5.1".

So... the big question: Should I take the "Asus Xonar D2X" or "Auzentech Prelude X-Fi"? Or maybe Creative adds DDL/dts to the own X-Fi (:D just kidding...).

Yes, I know, that the D2X is a PCIe sound card, whereas the Auzentech Prelude is a PCI adapter... that's not the problem... I'm only thinking, that... if I buy the "Asus Xonar" it's probably better to take the PCIe version of the sound card... I also know, that the Auzentech has an advantage for supporting EAX 3 to 5. But is the "feature" that important for current releases? I don't think so... since Windows Vista will grow and lacks the DirectSound layer...

Current standings (:D): At the moment I'm considering the "Asus Xonar D2X" as my favourite, because of the brilliant sound quality when listening to music / watching dvd's and the fact, that I'm only using Vista (x64).

What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Drago
Old January 22, 2008, 08:39 AM
Allstar

True both will give you 5.1 over a digital conenction BUT when using digital you can buy a much cheaper card that will do that..such as a Inferno. Now, the Prelude give you full EAX and OpenAL over digital 5.1....no other card can do that.
consider when your using digital the card is just a transport and the sound quality produced will come from the digital speakers systems DAC's...this syetm has NO analog inputs?
Old January 22, 2008, 01:51 PM
Rookie

Well... I find this question kind of weird (no offense!)... why should I plug in my speakers directly to the sound card when I have the possibility to plug them in into the digital av-receiver? Or have I understood anything wrong?

For your instance:
That is a screenshot of the rear of my av-receiver: http://www.teufel.de/showimage.cfm?i...detail-big.jpg
On the front it has an additional optical input, but that doesn't matter... The technical specification if you are interested in (currently only available in german): http://www.teufel.de/de/PC-Systeme/d...m?show=technik
The following screenshot shows the back of my subwoofer: http://www.teufel.de/showimage.cfm?i...pe_amp_big.jpg. Technical specs (also in german): http://www.teufel.de/de/PC-Systeme/C...m?show=technik

And as I said I'm currently using the X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS (with front panel). So I've used an optical cable from front panel to the av-receiver. There I've attached the six subwoofer inputs (front, rear, center + sub), whereas my speakers are attached to the subwoofer.
As stated previously I'm also using a (cheap) 5.1 analog headset, which is directly attached to the sound card.

Sure I could also connect the six subwoofer inputs directly with the X-Fi bypassing the av-receiver but what sense would have that?

EDIT: Corrected the urls...

Last edited by Drago; January 22, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old January 22, 2008, 01:57 PM
Allstar

Use the Receiver in between. This will give you the most options and the most power. a a soundcards output in analog in line-level which is about 2.2 Volts or in the case of the Prelude about 5volts..either way it is meant for connection to a receiver or power amplifier. So Connect up:

Soundcard->Receiver-> Speakers

I hope I understood your question right. If you need further help let me know...
Old January 22, 2008, 02:39 PM
Rookie

I suppose I understood you wrong before. So forget what I've said...

Your question before was if my av-receiver has got an analog 5.1 input? Am I right? If so, have you meant, that I should connect my sound card via analog to this 5.1 input of the receiver and from there to the speakers?
Soundcard --(analog)--> Receiver ----> Speakers

No, my av-receiver only has 3 stereo inputs (left right). But... what benefit would that have? I've always thought, that a digital connection to the av-receiver would be the best way to connect speakers?
Old January 22, 2008, 04:53 PM
Allstar

Most times going digital is the best way to go. With the newer crop of soundcards with high end DAC's in alot of cases going analog will yeild better sound quality then digital -depends alot on the gear your using. Yeah, run a digital connection to your receiver, this seems like the best way in your case. This will also leave your cards 5.1 outputs for your heaphones. Hopefully we got it figured out now...
Old January 23, 2008, 06:28 AM
Rookie

That's interesting... thanks for your fast answers! Yes, these were enough misunderstandings... ;)

The last question (returning to the thread): So, in my case, you would go for the Xonar, Auzentech or a cheaper C-Media card (like the Inferno you mentioned before) and why? Remember... I'm only using Vista x64.
Old January 23, 2008, 03:33 PM
Allstar

..because your planning on going digital. When you go this route your card doesn't need to have good DAC's, OPAMPS etc...
When going digital the audio is just transported from your card to another device for Digital to analog conversion.
If you want full OpenAL/EAX support and full 5.1 digital output then the Prelude is your only choice.
Old March 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
Rookie

Does the Xonar D2X support Front Panel Audio Connection?
Old March 8, 2008, 07:36 AM
Allstar

I am pretty sure it does NOT have that connector.