Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2011, 10:56 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Sound Blaster Audigy SBB1394 (SB0090) Vs my Onboard

Because this sound card is from one of my original builds back in .......2002-3-4? cant even remember now

Is My Sound Blaster Audigy SBB1394 (SB0090) any better Vs my On board Sound visa the Asus p5Q pro Turbos "Via High Definition Audio" Chip(edit Via VT1708S 8 Channel High Def audio CODEC).

I have a Creative 5.1 surround speaker system from the same era as my sound card i believe back then the were sold as a combo, the speakers are still in mint condition, great sound for the gaming i do.

I know absolutely nothing about sound cards, definitely not an audiophile. (the card has EAX Advanced HD)

Should i upgrade, or does this card still perform ? how far have audio chips come since my Sound Blaster ?

Thanks forum!! always helpful.
Old March 20, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That card will not work if you are using Windows 7. The SB Audigy 2 will work, however.

You may have better compatibility with games if you upgrade to using a SB card vs onboard audio. I've traced a few "CTDs" (crash to desktops) to problems with onboard audio in games.
Old March 20, 2011, 11:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

thanks for the quick reply. (i did install the card, and found drivers impossible to install, so yea i am using 7 ulimate makes sense.)

any suggestions from the SB lineup?

Edit: I use the 5.1 for gaming as well as my razer carcharias headphones about 50/50

Last edited by CoolHandL; March 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old March 20, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quite far actually. Eh... SoundBlaster isn't really that good, mainly due to driver issues **EDIT: the older ones. Try ASUS Xonar series, Auzentech, or HT Omega.

What is your price range btw?

-Plato
Old March 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

no budget really, just want something to pair with my 5.1 speakers and my headphones
Old March 20, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
That card will not work if you are using Windows 7. The SB Audigy 2 will work, however.

You may have better compatibility with games if you upgrade to using a SB card vs onboard audio. I've traced a few "CTDs" (crash to desktops) to problems with onboard audio in games.
Works fine on my windows 7 64bit install, only thing is the game controller doesnt install, sound and fire wire works just fine.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 20, 2011, 12:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

^ can you share the drivers you used? I tried downloading, and using the Install CD is useless doesnt work with 7 64bit.
Old March 20, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/D..._2_18_0017.exe

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old March 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It worked with Vista when I had one lying around. Definitely usable, but not better than your onboard solutions

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 20, 2011, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
It worked with Vista when I had one lying around. Definitely usable, but not better than your onboard solutions
Yeah I use the GFX's HDMI for my sound and the SB for firewire, but I did at one point use the SB for sound so as for better I cant really comment since it was only used for about a week as a sound device.
TBH I dont know how well it would handle mkv's or h264 files but as stated is does work in 7 64.

Quote: