Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2008, 05:05 PM
Rookie

Default which company offers the best in ceiling speakers

Iam really new to these kind of products. Which is better (don't worry about the money), Klipsch or Speakercraft, which company is more popular and which speaker is better.

CDT-2650-c
R-2650-C --- In-ceiling loudspeaker, Klipsch Reference Series

OR

AIM8 One
Speakercraft

Last edited by david17; January 16, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old January 16, 2008, 07:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure where you are located, but if your in the GTA, drop by G & G Electronics. I believe they have those Speakercraft ones hooked up there, or at least something that looks pretty much identical.

Only way you're going to know is to go and listen to both.

Just going by names though, I'd say Klipsch as I haven't heard of Speakercraft though their products look like high-quality.
Old January 16, 2008, 07:37 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Always choose speakers by listening to them, and be aware that they will sound different in your house. I hate shopping for speakers because of that.
Old January 17, 2008, 01:50 PM
Top Prospect

It's a very good idea to listen and audition speakers, as the guys have suggested above. Grab a Cd you like and give 'em a listen. Whatever makes you happy is the right speaker!

If you compare these 2 speakers directly, you'll see some differences. The speakercraft have an 8" woofer and the Klipsch have 6.5" -- meaning the speakercraft will have lower bass and fuller sound but may not be as 'tight' sounding as the klipsch. The speakercraft lower frequency extension is 40hz which is respectable, while the Klipsch go to 77hz. Alot of sub/sat systems direct sound frequency below the 80/100hz range to the sub. The Klipsch are almost in the 'need to have a sub' satellite speaker category based on those numbers. A decent bookshelf should give bass down to 60 or 65 hz, so you can live without a sub. Decent floor standers should come in below the 40hz range. Those are pretty loose numbers, because some speakers have bumps in the audio range that make you hear differently than the numbers suggest.

Truthfully though you have to hear both, because numbers can only tell so much and these speakers are slightly different. BTW they are both reputable companies.

Last edited by sam101p5; January 17, 2008 at 08:35 PM.