Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Default Building new PC - which soundcard to get

Hi there,

As soon as the P67 motherboards get re-released I will be building a new gaming computer and I will be looking to replace the stock soundcard. Aswell as gaming I am also a D&B DJ and I will be using the computer to record all of my mixes etc.

The question is; which soundcard should I get? I don't really want to spend anymore than 100 and if I could get a good one for 50 that'd be good, BUT quality is what I am really looking for here.

Harry
Old February 24, 2011, 03:39 PM

My System Specs

Is all your mixing done digitally or do you use any sort of device that requires analog input? As for GBP I have no idea how that converts in to Canadian dollars. But for a decent budget card you can't go wrong w/ a Xonar DX or an Auzentech Bravura.
Old February 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
Rookie

Analogue - I use vinyl decks which go through a mixer and then into my computer via an audio interface. Recording my mixes on my current laptop (which has a pretty rubbish intergrated soundcard) always means I have to turn the volume down to ridiculous levels, and even then sound quality (espicially bass) is pretty poor.

Converting to CAD - My limit is around 158 canadian dollars, but I don't mind going a bit over that
Old February 25, 2011, 12:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

1. HT Omega Striker $75 Cdn
Buy HT Omega [STRIKER_7.1] HT Omega Striker 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT DTS Dolby Digital Live S/PDIF IN/OUT Coaxial

2. Auzentech X-Raider $54 Cdn (great features for the price and swappable opamps)
NCIX.com - Buy AuzenTech X-RAIDER 7.1 Channel Sound Card PCI - AuzenTech - X-Raider 7.1 - in Canada

Both great cards and you really get a lot of bang for your buck

If you are willing to spend a little more

3. AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 $120 Cdn
NCIX.com - Buy AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card PCI-E Dolby Digital Live Headphone AMP - AuzenTech - AZTXFF7105551 - in Canada

Has its own headphone amp and is a must if you use headphones often

All great sound cards and will beat the pants off onboard sound

Old February 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

OHH if you have more cash to blow go for the Auzentech X-Meridian or Prelude

NCIX.com - Buy AuzenTech X-MERIDIAN 7.1 2G PCI 7.1 Sound Card Oxygen HD Dolby Digital Live DTS Connect XEAR3D - AuzenTech - AZT-XMERIDIAN7.12G - in Canada

Another great high end soundcard is the HT Omega Claro Plus
NCIX.com - Buy HT Omega Claro Plus + 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT DTS Dolby Digital Live S/PDIF IN/OUT Coaxial - HT Omega - CLARO plus + - in Canada