Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Home Theatre Speakers into PC? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/41051-home-theatre-speakers-into-pc.html)

Zmanno999 February 23, 2011 11:23 PM

Home Theatre Speakers into PC?
 
So I've got some tower speakers laying around from my home theatre, anyway I can hook them up to my desktop without a receiver?

mo' power February 23, 2011 11:29 PM

None that I'm aware of. You'll need some type of receiver/amp to power the speakers. Entry level receivers can be had for under $250 these days if you shop around. I picked up a pioneer vsx-520k for $280 taxes in this year. There are cheaper models available.

biff February 24, 2011 10:30 PM

Check out the used market. Lots of people are unloading their otherwise good receivers for HDMI capable ones these days. Some good deals to be had.

Pax February 25, 2011 09:09 AM

Check out local pawn shops too. I picked up an old citizen receiver for 25$ from Cash Converters to power a set of speakers from my computer.

blaze_125 February 25, 2011 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmanno999 (Post 489245)
So I've got some tower speakers laying around from my home theatre, anyway I can hook them up to my desktop without a receiver?

This was my gettho setup back in the days.
Took some headphones, and cut the wire to keep a good wire length and the 3.5mm jack
Connected the jack wires to my speaker wires
Connected the jack right into my computer.
So I basically had "huge headphones"(2 speaker box, with 1 woofer + 2 midrange + 1 tweeter in each box)
It worked great!

Jackquelegs February 25, 2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaze_125 (Post 489750)
This was my gettho setup back in the days.
Took some headphones, and cut the wire to keep a good wire length and the 3.5mm jack
Connected the jack wires to my speaker wires
Connected the jack right into my computer.
So I basically had "huge headphones"(2 speaker box, with 1 woofer + 2 midrange + 1 tweeter in each box)
It worked great!

Good luck driving those..

biff February 25, 2011 09:21 PM

You were fortunate enough that your speakers had a high enough impedance that it didn't smoke your sound card. And you'd only get a couple watts at best. I have no doubt it at least worked by I do question just how well. A couple of watts will take you farther than most might realize but I'd bet that your soundcard was struggling to do that and I have to wonder just how much distortion there was.

JD February 25, 2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff (Post 489989)
You were fortunate enough that your speakers had a high enough impedance that it didn't smoke your sound card. And you'd only get a couple watts at best. I have no doubt it at least worked by I do question just how well. A couple of watts will take you farther than most might realize but I'd bet that your soundcard was struggling to do that and I have to wonder just how much distortion there was.

Just out of curiosity, what about a soundcard with a built-in headphone amp? Probably still not really enough power, but should be a bit better/safer than using a non-amplified 3.5mm jack?

Jackquelegs February 25, 2011 10:19 PM

Wouldn't make much of a difference at that scale. It still would be smoked if something goes wrong.

3.5mm jack is never supposed to be deliver that kind of power

b1lk1 February 27, 2011 06:54 AM

Headphone amps usually use some crazy high ohm value too making them rather unlikely to drive speakers with any decent sound.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 AM.