Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   USB Sound cards. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/41003-usb-sound-cards.html)

GT7R February 22, 2011 02:25 AM

USB Sound cards.

A simple question - is it worth it?

Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro | Creative Labs Online Store

While I'm not an extreme audiophile, but sound quality is very important for me.

mo' power February 22, 2011 04:29 AM

Personally, I would go with either a pci or pcie Auzentech or Asus. They can be had for a decent price. I use the Auzentech xplosion and it works great with both my pc speakers and my home theatre surround system using the optical out.

ASUS Xonar DS 7.1

AuzenTech X-RAIDER 7.1 Channel Sound Card

lowfat February 22, 2011 08:44 AM

Why USB?

LarkStarr February 22, 2011 09:55 AM

If possible, avoid USB.

Jackquelegs February 22, 2011 03:19 PM

Fiio E9 + Fiio E7 + Fiio L2 Combo [E9+E7+L2] - $190.83 : MP4 Nation!, :: Low Priced MP4, MP3 Players and the latest scoop on the newest MP4 Player

Everything you need (just buy the E7 if you're cheap)

Although the problem is connectivity if you only get the E7. But I wouldn't use the Creative

GT7R February 22, 2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 488497)
Why USB?

Because I want to be able to switch from speakers to headset without having to change the plugs every time on the i/o shield at the back of the case.
I'll just can put the USB card on the desk and easily switch devices.
BUT if it will cost with a quality drop, I'll have to find an another solution...:ph34r:

SugarJ February 22, 2011 03:57 PM

Get a Xonar. Their software allows/forces you to switch between card jacks and front panel jacks. I have my speakers in the rear jacks of my Xonar DX, and keep my headphones plugged in the front jack for when I want to use them. Open the software and select output.

Stock February 22, 2011 03:59 PM

Just a personal experience, unless the store offers Air Shipping or USPS ground...shopping from the States is a nasty surprise half the time. :sad: You'll face either crazy custom fees, $30+ air shipping, or 4-5 week long USPS ground shipping. I'm based in Toronto and I've purchased a few audio equipment from B&H in New York; which is not far at all.

It's probably best to find an Ameri-friend to send you the parcel if you go with the Fiio route.

lowfat February 22, 2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 488632)
Fiio E9 + Fiio E7 + Fiio L2 Combo [E9+E7+L2] - $190.83 : MP4 Nation!, :: Low Priced MP4, MP3 Players and the latest scoop on the newest MP4 Player

Everything you need (just buy the E7 if you're cheap)

Although the problem is connectivity if you only get the E7. But I wouldn't use the Creative

Any experience with this thing?

LarkStarr February 22, 2011 09:25 PM

you should be able to hookup your front panel I/O directly to your sound card anyways, so it shouldn't make any difference.

otherwise, monoprice a 10 - 15' extension jack so you don't have to bend over