Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Any good resources for sound cards or...

So, any really good go-to resources to do some research before just asking people to tell me?

Or should I just post here and let people educate me without doing my own research?

What do other brands offer to compete with Dolby Pro-logic IIX? This is a technology that converts 2/2.1 to 5.1 or 5.1 to 6/7.1 channel sound (fakes extra sound channels).

What quality of speakers do I need before I can realize the benefit of a dedicated sound card?
How do you know what sound quality improvement you'll get over your on-board, especially when looking at under $80 budget?
Old February 12, 2011, 05:52 PM
Allstar

Look around and do some reading on your own and find the answers to the questions you have. If you cannot find the answers on your own then ask. Most around here enjoy talking about audio so they should answer any questions you have.
As for your budget, you think it might be low but considering most onboards are worth a fraction of a penny you can get an upgrade from onboard for very little money.
You can look in buy and sell forums and find more expensive units for less money.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:33 PM
Rookie

Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles
Old February 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the link, but I already have $200 sennheisers for headphones. I'm more wondering about speakers as my 5.1 set was about $120 new around the time I got it.