Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its not that the HS1 USB cans are bad for USB cans, in fact they are one of the better ones out there...its that as a rule USB cans suck.

What is your budget? Maybe the hive mind can come up with alternatives for you that will be "better". :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 3, 2011, 12:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I picked up the usb one awhile back and they sound better then I expected but I wasn't expecting much considering its usb and the price.
However this is the most comfortable headset I've ever tried, even with glasses.

Old February 3, 2011, 10:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Its not that the HS1 USB cans are bad for USB cans, in fact they are one of the better ones out there...its that as a rule USB cans suck.

What is your budget? Maybe the hive mind can come up with alternatives for you that will be "better". :)
Actually i bought the logitech F540. However it quite heavy and it hurts after wearing for awhile.
my budget is about 75-150. in this price range. ( i dont really need a headset, a headphone is considerable too.)@

Last edited by laplapmax; February 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
I picked up the usb one awhile back and they sound better then I expected but I wasn't expecting much considering its usb and the price.
However this is the most comfortable headset I've ever tried, even with glasses.
Nice because i am wearing glasses too..
Old February 3, 2011, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Razer Carachsis (sp?) is extremely comfortable IMO. I actually have one I need to sell :P
Old February 3, 2011, 11:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Because no one has asked yet, I'm going to. What is your usage? Music? Gaming? Videos? To be honest, I think you're going about it wrong. Buy a sound card, then spend $80-100 on jack-type headphones, and $8 on a Zalman mic. The sound quality you will get will be WAY better than any USB headset you will buy. There's some very good sound cards for under $75, like the Xonar DX, which I use.
Old February 8, 2011, 12:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

While on this topic. Do you think that the Analog version of the Corsair would sound (subjectively) any different from an onboard RealTek to a Asus Xonar DG? Or would it be a lot more worthwhile to go with something like the ASUS Xonar DX? (Trying to avoid creative as I have had nothing but trouble with their drivers and Windows 7 in the past).
Old February 8, 2011, 02:14 PM
Top Prospect

The problem with these type of questions is that the user has to have some sort of experience or default to base their comparisons on. Is there a sound card you can borrow from a friend/neighbour? If not, the budget solution when looking for an improvement is to upgrade your headphone/headset. You'll hear the biggest difference from that. Personally, in the sub $100 category for headphones, I would peg sound quality at 70% headphones, 20% source (bad vs. good, inbetween I can't tell ), 10% DAC/AMP/Soundcard.

Last edited by Stock; February 8, 2011 at 02:22 PM.