Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 11:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
I would look at Sennheiser's PC360's. It has the microphone attachment and same driver as the HD555's.
but the price is higher tho.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:13 AM
Top Prospect

Oh man, didn't realize they were still in the upper stratosphere for pricing. I remember seeing the PC350's (previous version) for around $150 and less..sometimes $100 on sale. If I could find the K702's in Canada for $300, I'd definitely buy them, lol. Using Beyer DT 990's here. If you like your music forward, with a ton of (clean) bass..these are the ones to get.

Found one at Anitec for $220..still pretty steep though. Another option is if you don't have a sound card already, you can grab this bundle at Direct Canada. Most decent DAC/Amp's will run you over $100.

Last edited by Stock; February 1, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:18 AM
Rookie

I've said it before, but here it is again:

Beyerdynamic MMX300

I know they're expensive but they make everything else seem like a toy. Check out Head Fi for a lengthy discussion. Comfort, soundstage, bass, mic quality - all are amazing!!!!

Astro, Razer etc area all toys compared to this. I have tried them all.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.co...a/mmx-300.html
Old February 1, 2011, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel View Post

Beyerdynamic MMX300

I know they're expensive but they make everything else seem like a toy. Check out Head Fi for a lengthy discussion. Comfort, soundstage, bass, mic quality - all are amazing!!!!

The MMX300's are just DT770's with a mic and double the price. You should be able to get DT770s for $170 online. Add a standalone mic of some kind and you'll come in a fair bit cheaper. Just watch the resistance on the DT770s There are 32, 80, 250 and 600ohm versions. Your pc may not be able to drive the 250/600's without amplification.
Old February 1, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Beyerdynamic MMX300

For that price I would rather buy a DT880 Manufaktur 600ohm, makes your MMX300 look like a toy

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old February 1, 2011, 04:04 PM
Rookie

Granted, but the OP asked for a Headset, not Headphones! A "better" headphone argument can go on for years, check out some of the threads @ Head Fi. The MMX 300 is a Headset with an incredible mic and comes with a pretty damn good usb sound card and it's what this thread is about, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
For that price I would rather buy a DT880 Manufaktur 600ohm, makes your MMX300 look like a toy

Last edited by Rudel; February 1, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Granted, but the OP asked for a Headset, not Headphones! A "better" headphone argument can go on for years, check out some of the threads @ Head Fi. The MMX 300 is a Headset with an incredible mic and comes with a pretty damn good usb sound card and it's what this thread is about, no?
Let me ask you, what's the difference between a Headset and Headphone. Figure out the answer and repeat it to yourself 5 times.

Buy ZALMAN TECH [ZM-MIC1] Zalman ZM-MIC 1 Microphone
Solves all life's problems.

Also, it's not a USB sound card. It's just a cheap little USB DAC

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old February 1, 2011, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have one of those zalman mics, I am happy with it. :P
10 foot long cable btw.
http://poopr.org/images/ey74xoyd7m2lopkiee1.jpg
Old February 1, 2011, 06:52 PM
Rookie

Jeez dude relax. I know what the difference is, the OP asked a question and I gave my opinion. No one is arguing with you that in most cases a good set of headphones will be superior to most if not all "gaming" headsets. I simply wanted to point out that the MMX300 is a real "Headset" that is vastly superior to the likes of what was being discussed eg, Razer, Tritons, etc. You seem to be unable to accept that and have to jump in saying your headphones make mine look like toys and make statements like,

"Figure out the answer and repeat it to yourself 5 times."

Again, relax. No one is challenging your opinion. Maybe the OP wanted an all in one solution? Ok it's not a sound card it's DAC....you're right, good job, way to go, you win the internet argument.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Let me ask you, what's the difference between a Headset and Headphone. Figure out the answer and repeat it to yourself 5 times.

Buy ZALMAN TECH [ZM-MIC1] Zalman ZM-MIC 1 Microphone
Solves all life's problems.

Also, it's not a USB sound card. It's just a cheap little USB DAC
Old February 1, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well rudel to be fair....he did point out that the headset you recomended was nothing but Dt770s with a mic...and twice the cost (so much so as to put them in a whole 'nother league of cans). I think its a fair argument,and you shouldnt get pissy about it (or at least it seemed that you were getting pissy). TBH only the OP can decide if he wants to spend less coin but deal with a (very small) additional hassle of a separate mic or going for an all in one solution and pay more.

YMMV but when talking to jackie like he is a moron...expect to be slapped down. Jackie is VERY knowledgeable on this and hell Ive picked his brain a couple times on review items. Hell jackie is a reviewer for another site on audio equipment so next time you might want to think twice before mouthing off to him. YMMV. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr