Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2008, 12:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
You could always go with the HDMI cable straight to a High Def TV set....

Excellent suggestion! I may just do that.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
Allstar

..Unfortunately you will be losing all the audio goodness once again. If you do go with the Auzen HDMI card for example and link up your GFX card into one HDMI cable then feed that to a High Def TV set..unless your TV support HDMI audio format decoding you will most likely get down mixed audio once again. In this case buying the HDMI digital audio output card would be a waste...
Old May 18, 2008, 12:32 AM
Rookie

Are there any TVs that currently offer HDMI audio decoding?

I will probably wait until next year as I am hoping for wireless PC speakers that works with HDMI audio (Particularly Dolby TrueHD)
Old May 18, 2008, 08:17 AM
Allstar

Not that I have seen, I don't exactly review every new TV that hits the scene but I think they are leaving this decoding for receivers. If you don't have full support for HDMI 1.3 then your audio would be downmixed from your Blu-ray, PC..etc.
To be honest I think you may be waiting a little longer for HDMI compatible PC speakers. HDMI audio is just too new....
Old May 19, 2008, 12:33 PM
Rookie

This is the TV I am looking at

Sony BRAVIA : Sony KDL-46XBR5 LCD Flat Panel HDTV
Old May 19, 2008, 03:18 PM
Allstar

A HDTV, only has stereo sound so if you just run a cable form the PC/HDMI1.3 card for example then you will have full resolution video. Your audio will most likely be down mixed to stereo etc and even using the HDMI card is a waste. You will still have good audio as far as stereo goes.

Are you just gonna have a HDTV with no surround audio system?
Old May 21, 2008, 06:03 AM
Rookie

I recently purchased the Olevia 747i (Olevia 747i LCD HDTV - 47" 1920x1080, 1080p Native, 1,600:1 Contrast Ratio, 8ms, HDMI, ATSC Tuner in Canada at TigerDirect.ca) and am extremely impressed at the picture qualtiy. I was considering either the 46" Sony Bravia or Samsung, but after doing quite a bit of reading I was convinced that the Olevia would be almost as good at less than 1/2 the price.

I purchased a DVI -> HDMI cable and am running direct out of my 8800GT OC2 card to the TV. The video quality when playing back HD DVD or BluRay is as good as anything you will find in a standalone player, or PS3 IMHO.
Old June 6, 2008, 08:42 AM
Allstar

Recent informations suggest that Auzentech is working on a HDMI 1.3 Combo card aswell as the Extension. Their new HDMI 1.3 card will use Native PCI-E and will be Non Down Sampling.
Old June 29, 2008, 04:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Recent informations suggest that Auzentech is working on a HDMI 1.3 Combo card aswell as the Extension. Their new HDMI 1.3 card will use Native PCI-E and will be Non Down Sampling.
Robscix, You seem to be knowledgeable about all this. Just a couple of questions if you could help. Will the X-Tension and the newly announced native Pci-E HDMI card offer basically the same feature set / specifications? I already own the X-Fi Prelude card, but do you have any idea when the HDMI X-Tension will be released? Thanks
Old June 29, 2008, 10:17 AM
Allstar

The X-Tension HDMI 1.3 and the X-Fi HT 7.1 card seem to offer similar output options based on the released specifications. I am unsure of the date of release for the X-Tension HDMI 1.3. If or when I get updated info I will post it for those interested.