Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post
Hi,

I am confused and after Google around I noticed you guys are talking exactly the same matter. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From my GC first I use my DVI-D or HDMI out to Auzentech HDMI X-Tension soundcard's HDMI in.

From Auzentech HDMI X-Tension soundcard HDMI audio out to any receiver that offer TrueHD audio decoder.

From this TrueHD receiver's HDMI out video signal to the monitor.

In a nut shell, video stream from GC to this sound card. Sound card sends video and audio signal to 1st stop, TrueHD receiver. Receiver send audio to each speakers. Receiver also send the video signal to monitor. In this case, we will have HDMI 1.3 carry the TrueHD audio signals to the amp and also will sync up the video.

But before anything happens, we still need something like PDVD not downsampling the audio stream first.

so we are waiting for 2 things here. First PDVD new release, not downsampling the BD stream and second, Auzentech HDMI X-Tension soundcard in next few months, right?

also do I need the Auzen Prelude 7.1 sound card? If so, where is going to fit in my picture above?

Many thanks!
I'd like to know the answer to these as well? Bump! Thanks!
Old May 12, 2008, 12:40 PM
Allstar

Considering the current state of PC audio and the state of it when Blue-ray started finding it's way into PC's, There was really no PC audio devices capable of outputting those high resolution standards digitally. You would have HDMI video from the PC but no audio or at best plain SPDIF output, given the lack of appropriate hgih resolution audio hardware, down sampling was the only viable option that I think the programmers would have seen. Once there is audio devices that can use HDMI audio to it's full potential then down sampling isn't really needed anymore. HDMI audio is indeed very new for the PC and I think it may take awhile before all the pieces are in place to give users exactly what the want. This is just my take on things... Hope this helps.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Even most newer entry level receivers will come with HDMI A/V connectors. You don't need $10,000 is audio gear to enjoy high resolution standards. If anything, these newer standards may help people get the most out of the gear they already have which may already be compatible.
I just picked up the LG HD DVD/Bluray combo reader (GGC-H20L) yesterday and connected to my Cambridge Audio home receiver, via the S/PDIF.

I'm using the on-board sound from my Asus P5B mobo, which means I'm limited only to 5.1 of audio (compressed), which only allows for DTS-ES or Dolby Digital EX. Although the Cambridge Azur 540v3 receiver is new (only got it a month ago), and it does have 2 HDMI inputs/1 HDMI output, it does not handle the lossless audio. To get into that level of sound you would be looking at about $1400 (such as the Denon AVR-2808CI) plus the speakers etc, as well as the aforementioned Azuntech (or similar) sound card. Just because a receiver has HDMI connections doesn't mean that it will do audio switching as well, most lower end receivers will only handle video and will require a separate connection via SPDIF for audio.

Quote:
Digital S/PDIF standards right now are very limited compared to HDMI. Surround formats presently using digital Coax and optical are using lossy compression meaning your losing some fidelity just in the encoding. Of course these are emerging audio/video standards and will take awhile before they become more main stream in price and affordability.

True. If you observe the audio data traffic being transferred while playing back via SPDIF you will see you're getting about 450Kbps, whereas if you are using a lossless format you're pushing about 4600Kbps. Numerically it is very significant, however I have yet to hear the difference myself.

If you consider how slow Bluray is being adopted, and how expensive stand-alone players still are, and the dynamic nature of the Bluray standard, I can't imagine you'll see much public acceptance until at least the end of this year.

Last edited by XXVANN; May 21, 2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old May 12, 2008, 01:58 PM
Allstar

Anyway you look at it, HDMI audio is the future of digital audio. In the A/V forums many of those guys consider it the "holy Grail" of home theatre audio because of the standard it offers to the user. The gear that sports any emerging standards will always be very pricey. When those same standards become more mainstream, we will get price drops and the standards will be available at a decent price to those who want them. I will be getting one when they hit the street just so I have the options to move to full HDMI Audio/Video from my PC.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
Rookie

What PC speakers will take full advantage of this technology? The reason I ask is because I don't want to purchase a receiver just for throughput. The THX speaker system I bought from Dell six years ago had the speakers managed through the Subwoofer and then the Subwoofer had an output cable to the sound card.

Last edited by sdogg1m; May 15, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
Allstar

Currently NO "PC" type speakers I have seen will take advantage of high resolution HDMI audio. The digital formats are just to new to market and usually seen on HT gear. If you want to go with this type of setup you will need a Home theater system. An A/V Receiver that can process and decode HDMI based audio standards mentioned above and some good quality speakers. HDMI 1.3 based audio is the next step in Home theater and hopefully PC audio aswell. Once the standards are more mainstream I would think you will seem many new HDMI products, speaker systems, receivers...etc.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Currently NO "PC" type speakers I have seen will take advantage of high resolution HDMI audio. The digital formats are just to new to market and usually seen on HT gear. If you want to go with this type of setup you will need a Home theater system. An A/V Receiver that can process and decode HDMI based audio standards mentioned above and some good quality speakers. HDMI 1.3 based audio is the next step in Home theater and hopefully PC audio aswell. Once the standards are more mainstream I would think you will seem many new HDMI products, speaker systems, receivers...etc.
Seems like kind of a waste? Are there any planned PC speaker systems that will have HDMI audio capabilities?

What would you recommend as far as a receiver and speaker system until then?

What I am hoping for in the future: PC speaker WIRELESS HDMI audio system. SWEET!
Old May 15, 2008, 06:01 PM
Allstar

Waste? Not at all... HDMI digital audio is the future of digital audio and home theater audio. There is no getting away from that. I would think once the standards are more "accepted" among the PC crowds you will start to see PC speaker system with HDMI input. Why bother going PC speakers anyway? -You can get your self a nice HDMI ready receiver and a 5.1 speaker system and your set.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:01 PM
Rookie

In my case, the receiver would be a waste of money as I am looking for my PC to be kind of an "all-in-one" multimedia unit. After two days of researching I am probably going to wait a year. Hopefully, the equipment will be out by then and I will finally purchase an HDTV.
Old May 16, 2008, 05:59 AM
Allstar

You could always go with the HDMI cable straight to a High Def TV set....