Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

All 9800 GTX and 9800 GX2 cards can do audio through HDMI by way of an on-board SPDIF connector. The HD3...-series cards can do this as well but the decoding is done (I believe) by software instead of hardware.
Old April 10, 2008, 09:41 AM
Allstar

That is what I was getting at though. The standards are S/PDIF.....not TRUE HDMI. -Atleast this is the case in many of the newer products. They offer audio over the HDMI connector sure, It is not TRUE HDMI audio standards though. I hope that makes sense. HDMI is extremely high resolution, much higher quality sound then normal S/PDIF. Many of the newer products aren't offering true HDMI audio support yet.
Old April 10, 2008, 02:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

And what is this thing for exactly? I though Auzentech made sound cards.

And what is the HDMI for, when you can just output from your video card using a DVI to HDMI cable?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound un-excited. I just don't get what this thing is for.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old April 10, 2008, 02:22 PM
Allstar

HDMI -Is NOT just video. This card is for outputing high definition audio standards to a receiver or other HDMI compatible device. The inclusion of the video input on this card just for ease of use as HDMI cables can transfer both audio and video signals to a device. HDMI audio offers many new output standards including DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 Lossless, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. Many of these newer audio formats are the state of the art in audio and will be used in Blu-ray and other media types. HDMI audio is considered the holly grail of digital audio_high resolution multi tracked lossless audio. Does this help excite you?

Last edited by Robscix; April 10, 2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old April 11, 2008, 02:29 PM
Rookie

So... S/PDIF does not support the new high def audio standards like DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 Lossless, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. So the only way to get that signal digitally (or without pulling multiple analog cables) to the receiver is to use the Auzen HDMI 1.3 board which will get the audio signal from e.g. the Prelude sound card via the option board port(?) and encode that into the HDMI signal, which then in turn is sent to the AV receiver... right?
Old April 11, 2008, 02:46 PM
Allstar

Sounds about right. Another reason companies are so sticky on the new HDMI standards is copy protection for the audio and video signals.
Old April 11, 2008, 03:01 PM
Rookie

Ok. Makes sense now, thanks!
Old April 21, 2008, 12:11 AM
Trial Member

Hi,

I am confused and after Google around I noticed you guys are talking exactly the same matter. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From my GC first I use my DVI-D or HDMI out to Auzentech HDMI X-Tension soundcard's HDMI in.

From Auzentech HDMI X-Tension soundcard HDMI audio out to any receiver that offer TrueHD audio decoder.

From this TrueHD receiver's HDMI out video signal to the monitor.

In a nut shell, video stream from GC to this sound card. Sound card sends video and audio signal to 1st stop, TrueHD receiver. Receiver send audio to each speakers. Receiver also send the video signal to monitor. In this case, we will have HDMI 1.3 carry the TrueHD audio signals to the amp and also will sync up the video.

But before anything happens, we still need something like PDVD not downsampling the audio stream first.

so we are waiting for 2 things here. First PDVD new release, not downsampling the BD stream and second, Auzentech HDMI X-Tension soundcard in next few months, right?

also do I need the Auzen Prelude 7.1 sound card? If so, where is going to fit in my picture above?

Many thanks!
Old April 21, 2008, 03:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
HDMI -Is NOT just video. This card is for outputing high definition audio standards to a receiver or other HDMI compatible device. The inclusion of the video input on this card just for ease of use as HDMI cables can transfer both audio and video signals to a device. HDMI audio offers many new output standards including DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 Lossless, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. Many of these newer audio formats are the state of the art in audio and will be used in Blu-ray and other media types. HDMI audio is considered the holly grail of digital audio_high resolution multi tracked lossless audio. Does this help excite you?
No, sorry this doesn't make me any more excited since most people (myself included) do not own (nor plan to) $10000 audio equipment to enjoy these "Master Audio 5.1" formats and the like.

What's wrong with digital coax or optical? Can't all these formats be transferred through those?
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old April 22, 2008, 04:42 PM
Allstar

Even most newer entry level receivers will come with HDMI A/V connectors. You don't need $10,000 is audio gear to enjoy high resolution standards. If anything, these newer standards may help people get the most out of the gear they already have which may already be compatible.
Digital S/PDIF standards right now are very limited compared to HDMI. Surround formats presently using digital Coax and optical are using lossy compression meaning your losing some fidelity just in the encoding. Of course these are emerging audio/video standards and will take awhile before they become more main stream in price and affordability.

Last edited by Robscix; April 22, 2008 at 05:06 PM.