Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2011, 12:40 PM
Top Prospect

Default Which Sound Card?

I'm looking to get a real cheap replacement for my onboard sound. A few of the games I have (mass effect and bad company 2) seem to have some problems that could potentially be related to the onboard realtek audio that I've got. I'm willing to spend a little bit to see if it'll fix the problem.

There's a Razer card available on BST for $20, or I could get the Asus Xonar DG for $26 PM'd at NCIX, but still have to pay shipping/tax etc.

Or are there any other cards that are super cheap I should be looking at? As long as the audio quality is on par with my onboard, I'll be happy.

Link to Razer card on BST:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...inator-i7.html

Thanks

Edit:
Changed Xonar DS to DG. I'm also running Win 7 Pro 64bit.

Last edited by Pax; January 6, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old January 6, 2011, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect

I don't have experience with either card, but I would be concerned about driver support and matching system requirements (XP, Vista, 7?). Better to do some research first instead of accidentally purchasing a paper weight.
Old January 6, 2011, 01:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go with the Xonar DS. Should be a bit better quality and better supported.
Old January 6, 2011, 01:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

How about the Xonar DG? Cheaper than the DS, and still better than onboard. BestDirect has it for $26.75 before a $10 rebate.
Old January 6, 2011, 01:44 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokkRokken View Post
How about the Xonar DG? Cheaper than the DS, and still better than onboard. BestDirect has it for $26.75 before a $10 rebate.
Oops, yeah, I meant the DG, not DS.
Old January 6, 2011, 09:44 PM
Rookie

Or even an old SB Audigy 2. It does everything and no driver issues like the newer SB stuff. Quality card matched with my Klipsch 2.1 Promedias
Old February 4, 2011, 11:55 PM
Rookie

Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium, go for it. It has all the lastest facilities in it.
Old February 5, 2011, 05:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
I'm looking to get a real cheap replacement for my onboard sound. A few of the games I have (mass effect and bad company 2) seem to have some problems that could potentially be related to the onboard realtek audio that I've got. I'm willing to spend a little bit to see if it'll fix the problem.

There's a Razer card available on BST for $20, or I could get the Asus Xonar DG for $26 PM'd at NCIX, but still have to pay shipping/tax etc.

Or are there any other cards that are super cheap I should be looking at? As long as the audio quality is on par with my onboard, I'll be happy.

Link to Razer card on BST:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...inator-i7.html

Thanks

Edit:
Changed Xonar DS to DG. I'm also running Win 7 Pro 64bit.
If I were you,I would re-think what you are doing. On board sound is not all that bad these days, so buying a 'cheap' card won't help you one bit. You can find some pretty decent cards in the $50.00 range. It pays to buy better. If you are a gamer,then do the right thing. Your gaming will be far more immersive and your ears will tell you what I am telling you. Good luck!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
Allstar

I would agree, an entry level card will surpass onboards but why go with just a baseline auido system?
If you want the best experience for your PC, get a good audio card. Accept no substitues!