Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2011, 02:53 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Xonar Essence STX - Crackling/Popping

I'm currently using an Essence STX with a pair of Sennheiser HD555's on Windows 7 64bit. While playing games, I hear either a popping noise, as well as occasional crackling sounds. I tried two different headphones, and well as trying various options in the Xonar Audio Center.

I've tried many different settings in the Xonar Audio Center, as well as three different sets of drivers. I've also tried moving the soundcard in the case, first using a PCIe x1 slot, then switching to the bottom PCIe x16 slot, away from my GTX 480. The issue happens using both the Headphone Amp and RCA Out.

Any insight would be much appreciated, as this only happens while playing many different game titles, but never during movies or music.
Old January 6, 2011, 04:23 PM
Top Prospect

Hm... does this popping sound happen for all volumes (typically distortions happen at greater levels)? Maybe you can try lowering your system's volume, and compensate by increasing your headphone's. Also, did you play with the sampling rate frequency?
Old January 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I noticed that if I have my GPU folding enabled, I get weird sounds coming out of my headphones (HD 595's with a Forte). I've experienced a similar cracking/popping situation in the past but it turned out to be a volume issue. I find it extremely weird that it is only occuring for games. When I had this problem, I experienced it for all audio.
Old January 6, 2011, 07:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have tired all sampling rates, but typically leave it at 44.1KHz for Music, and 48KHz for games to avoid sampling.
Also, I typically use only 20% volume with the Volume Mixer, and leave all other settings (Music Player, Games) at full volume. I also have Hi-Fi enabled, which eliminates all effects which could cause distortion.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:07 PM
Top Prospect

I was going to ask if you could disable Hi-Fi but then I realized..that kind of defeats the purpose of having the card.

Do you have other add-ons in your PC by chance? If so, try removing them and move the Xonar around.
Old January 6, 2011, 09:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
Do you have other add-ons in your PC by chance? If so, try removing them and move the Xonar around.
The only other add-on card is my GTX 480.
I have moved the sound card from its original spot in the top slot, which is a PCIe x1, to two different PCIe x16 slots. I have also tried using the built in Headphone Amp, as well as the L/R to 3.5mm adapter.

I appreciate the assistance.
Old January 6, 2011, 09:24 PM
Top Prospect

Np, wish I could help but I'm stumped. I don't know if it's a hardware fault.

I personally use a Beyer DT990 (250 ohm) with a Nuforce uDAC-2.
Old January 9, 2011, 05:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

After further diagnosing, I have come to the conclusion that this crackling/popping noise only seems to occur after a game has been running for a few minutes. For example, playing Hot Pursuit, when the narrator reads the description of the cars, everything sound great, however after winning a race and choosing another car, listening to the narrator again reveals what almost sounds like artifacts or hang ups.

I really want to clear this issue up, and I appreciate all the help so far.