Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2008, 03:35 PM
Rookie

Question Auzen X-Fi Prelude

Hello folks,
I have been reading about Auzen X-Fi Prelude and i really like the test. I have switched from Windows XP to Windows Vista 64-bit and my computer has the well know problem with the my audigy 2 zs soundcard it makes the static scratch sound while playing music and videos files. I just can't get rid of this problem. I have found out that the X-Fi from Creative has allmost the same problem.
So here is my question, because i wanna be sure that the Auzen X-Fi Prelude does not have that kind of problem. Has anyone of u had that static scratch sound with the same Windows Vista 64-bit ?

Would be nice to get an answer on that.

Kind regards and Happy New Year

Ps. some other info about my Pc: Intel Pentium 4 3.20 GHz, 3Gb Ram, Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
Old January 2, 2008, 03:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your running 64bit Vista on a P4? I don't know, but that sounds like it must be pretty slow.

My Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic (no longer sold) works fine in Vista x64. The Auzentech still uses Creative drivers to my knowledge just with the addition of DDL. But everyone has different problems with X-Fi and Vista, so there's really no definite answer.
Old January 2, 2008, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Your running 64bit Vista on a P4? I don't know, but that sounds like it must be pretty slow.
Well the system works fine for me the only thing that might be slow is the start up.

That is funny here where I live we still have the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic on sale.
Old January 3, 2008, 08:49 AM
Rookie

I'm running the Prelude on Vista x64 and I'm not getting any kind of screeching, static, clicks, pops, etc.

The only weird thing happening to me, is that sometimes Vista will boot with the Windows Audio Service disabled. So I have no sound until I restart the service. Very odd, and I'm trying to figure out what's causing it. But other than that, it's worked flawlessly for me. Once I managed to get the drivers installed properly, that is.

However, I think the problem you're talking about is caused by certain motherboards and/or their chipsets not working well together with Creative-based cards. In my case, I've got the AMD 790FX chipset on the Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe Wi-Fi mobo.
Old January 3, 2008, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had the Prelude and it worked OK under Vista 64 Ultimate for me. I just was not impressed by the sound and DDL made little difference to me and my ears.

I think the biggest flaw is the fact they use Creative drivers. I was sure hoping to see them have the ability to create their own, but I am guessing that they were forced to run Creative drivers to get the chipsets.
Old January 3, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I had the Prelude and it worked OK under Vista 64 Ultimate for me. I just was not impressed by the sound and DDL made little difference to me and my ears.

I think the biggest flaw is the fact they use Creative drivers. I was sure hoping to see them have the ability to create their own, but I am guessing that they were forced to run Creative drivers to get the chipsets.
The gear you use is gonna make a huge difference with this card. Its best to use analog unless you have a receiver to do the decoding for you.
Old January 3, 2008, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Analog or digital, the ASUS Xonar blows this card completely out of the water in Vista usage. The sound is not even comparible for music and movies. The sound field is infinitely superior and clearer in both analog AND digital usage. I am sorry, the Prelude is very over-hyped. It may work better with XP where it can live in HAL, but it is a horrible card for Vista. Even when I had XP, I ran the Sondigo Inferno and I also liked that card better. I have never seen the appeal for EAX and I personally think it adds nothing to games that surround sound can't add. I have tested more sound cards than I care to list in both analog and digital over the last 3 years with many different speaker sets. The Xonar is the best sounding card I have ever used by a very large margain. I only wish I had the Auzentech X-Meridian to try because it is probably the only serious contender to the Xonar. Sorry, Prelude = overpriced and over hyped. It is a gamers card, not a music or movie lovers card. Besides, the new DDL driver doesn't work properly under Vista 64 for gaming. It always crashed the sound no more than 2 minutes into any game I tried.
Old January 7, 2008, 02:10 AM
Rookie

Well, it seems I spoke a bit too soon about the lack of sound quality issues with the Prelude.

Yesterday, I noticed faint clicks and/or popping while I was listening to some MP3s in Windows Media Player. I also had the same happen in a game I was playing. I was using headphones connected directly to the Front Audio Out jack.

HOWEVER, today the problem has disappeared. Truly bizarre. I don't know if it's due to the immaturity of the 790FX as a platform (which a BIOS update may fix), Auzentech's drivers, or Vista itself.

I'm leaning toward the 790FX or Vista, because I've occasionally had glitchy behavior ever since I built this system. Like I mentioned before, on occasion the Audio Service will be disabled on startup. I have a feeling the aforementioned BIOS update, or SP1 for Vista, may clear things up permanently.
Old January 8, 2008, 11:37 AM
Rookie

Cool

Well i have manged to get me an Auzen X-Fi Prelude and at this point i'm happy for it. It really sounds great.

The only cons for me, i still have some static scratch at this point I think it's my computer not good enough for the Windows Vista 64-bit but I don't know.
Old January 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeela84 View Post
Well i have manged to get me an Auzen X-Fi Prelude and at this point i'm happy for it. It really sounds great.

The only cons for me, i still have some static scratch at this point I think it's my computer not good enough for the Windows Vista 64-bit but I don't know.
Could be, YOU can try switching PCI slots. Try muting your uneeded inputs etc. Make sure your using the newest chipset drivers for your MOBO also.