Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2010, 11:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Suggestion on Turntable

I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion on a good quality not overly expensive turntable (or turntable system) as i want to get it for my old man for his birthday and christmas (they are around the same time). Looking to buy online and ship it to their place as i dont live near them anymore.

So far i've seen
ThinkGeek :: Briefcase USB Turntable
Which is on sale for a great price but its around 40$ for shipping to canada

Profile LP USB Turntable | Turntables | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca
Has gotten good reviews but i know very little about turntables.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.
Not much detail on NCIX's page though
Old December 4, 2010, 09:20 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry, I know nothing about USB turntables, but same ION USB turntable on sale at FutureShop, with free shipping.
Ion Profile Pro LP USB Turntable : Record Players - Future Shop
Old December 4, 2010, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There's a bit of a disconnect between what you've linked to, and what I suspect you're looking for....... ;)

Are you looking for something they can connect to their PC in order to copy their music over, or are you looking for a replacement turntable for their amp/reciever?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 4, 2010, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm looking for something that can be used as a replacement for their current dead turntable which they've moved with them with 2 moves and hasn't worked for over a decade. They have a receiver that still works thats probably 2 decades old.
Old December 4, 2010, 09:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You've linked USB turntables. Do you want to connect it to a computer? If you want to use a receiver, you'll need a RCA turntable then.
Now I know about those.
Old December 4, 2010, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Those were the ones i saw that were in the less expensive bracket and some of them claimed to have RCA outs as well as USB. I want to use a receiver, dont care much about connecting to a pc.
Old December 4, 2010, 09:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, if that's the case, then the models you've linked to (USB) aren't what you're looking for. The only one out of that bunch that has audio outputs is the briefcase one from the states, and I doubt you folks want a big briefcase as part of their audio gear. ;)

What you should be looking for is something like this.....

NEXXTECH LAB1100 TURNTABLE | Turntables | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

The majority of non-usb turntables at FS are somewhere around $300, but they do have this one, and it looks like the majority of problems being reported are WRT the software. (It also has a pre-amp built in so you wouldn't have to worry about whether or not their amp has a phono input)....

Sony USB Turntable (PS-LX300) : Record Players - Future Shop

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 4, 2010, 12:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There seem to be pretty good reviews for the NXXTECH turntable and its not a cheap model when its not on sale. Hmm... any other suggestions from those turntable oldies?
Old December 4, 2010, 12:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Low-end, new turntables are a rare oddity these days. If you were local to your folks, I'd say hunt down a used table, you'd find much better models SQ-wise for the same price.

If you ever want to take a look at the used market, look here: Analog Classifieds : Buy, Sell and Trade in Canada - Canuck Audio Mart.
Old December 4, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
There seem to be pretty good reviews for the NXXTECH turntable and its not a cheap model when its not on sale. Hmm... any other suggestions from those turntable oldies?
I actually have the Sony lx300 been perfectly happy with it, replaced a older Yamaha that stopped working.

As John said just about any turntable on the market is going to be fairly decent for a AMP, IDK s**t about the usb ones never used one never had a need to transfer my records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton