Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2010, 11:50 AM
Rookie

Default HS1 vs 7H vs Carcharias

So I've been doing a bunch of research in an attempt to find the headset that best suits my needs. I've managed to narrow it down to these three. Before I go into anything, I'll mention my setup and what I want from my headset.

I had a Microsoft LiveChat LX 3000 for a year, and it worked fine. The mic quality was good, which is one of the most important factor in a headset for me. I spend anywhere from 2-8 hours a day in Skype with friends. (yes I am aware that I could probably benefit from going outside) This headset broke because the cable is horrible. It tangles on itself and bended to the point of splitting the microphone wire. I couldn't do anything to stop it from happening.

That being said, I want a headset with a high quality microphone, decent sound quality, and very high durability. I was going to get a 6850 with this money, so if I'm going to drop 80-150 dollars on headset, I want it to last 2 years at least.

I've read a few reviews of the 7H that says it feels cheap, however the NCIX review seemed to recommend the headset highly. I really like the idea of having a cable that I plug into the headset, rather than one that is permanently attached. That being said, I have to wonder if there would be any static/hissing as a result of these connections. The Razer headset generally has good reviews, and I trust razer, but I am in no position to get a sound card and I have crappy onboard realtek sound. My worry is that if I connect to my on board sound I will get that slight hissing/static in both the speakers and the mic. This really annoys me and the people I am speaking with. The Corsair HS1 is generally said to have amazing build quality, but I see some reviews stating that the mic is too loose, which could be an issue. The HS1 are said to be really comfortable as well, which is a plus. I'm a bit concerned that with the Corsair sound from the headphones will end up getting sent through the mic.

So I'm basically looking for opinions from you guys, especially those of you who may own one of these headsets. Are the things I've read in reviews accurate? If there are any other headsets you recommend (keep in mind that I cannot get a soundcard) I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: Not interested in the G35 because a friend has it and he says that the cord tangles on itself just like my old one. He says it doesn't break any of the cord, but I still don't want to deal with the annoyance of that issue in any case.

Last edited by Fayth18; December 2, 2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:17 PM
Rookie

Have the Razer headset myself, can say that people have said they can hear me just fine with no problems in the audio in game. It's a comfortable headset to wear, the mic boom is nice not majorly adjustable but seems to be placed at the right distance already, is sturdy. The headband itself is made from good quality plastic the a lot of the headset itself is made of metal though, its been through a lot of abuse had it almost a year now, with a lot of people wearing it throwing it around, no damage done. dont have a real sound card myself just a bernstein card that came with my t3eh8 mobo. braided cable is amazing, high high quality, will not break on you, and I've experienced no real hissing as you describe. Also the volume control works great, seems to be quality construction on it as well. Only downfall to the headset is it is an open headphone design so i have people over a lot and they can hear everything even at med-low volume sometimes when i got the headphones on. Also Music playback isn't the best, but is pretty decent.
Can't say anything on the other 2 headsets, but was looking at the HS1 and it looks pretty nice.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:34 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the razer headset, because its open, do the people you talk with online hear what you are hearing?
Old December 2, 2010, 05:40 PM
Rookie

Not as far as I know, no one I've talked to have said anything about that, its the headphone cups that are literally made out a black metal mesh so it lets out what you hear throw the headphones themselves. I do also try not to use the mic when a lot of people are around just in case, but there has been the odd occasion and again no, no one has told me they can hear the people around me...unlike the Xbox 360 wireless headpiece...which is besides the point but that one bothers me lol
Old December 2, 2010, 06:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I bought the Corsair HS1. I liked the reviews I found on the web and liked the features it included. Specially since I do not have a sound card I have the headset to do the conversion for me. Let me tell you, while this won't be the best headset ever (hello is super cheap) I can tell you it has the most amazing build quality I've seen sito far. It feels tough and very VERY comfortable.

I've very happy with it
Old December 2, 2010, 07:06 PM
Rookie

I think that is going to be the major deciding factor for me. Its really important that the headset I buy is built to last a long time. What do you think of the HS1's mic quality? Is there noticable background noise or static?
Old December 3, 2010, 06:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth18 View Post
I think that is going to be the major deciding factor for me. It's really important that the headset I buy is built to last a long time. What do you think of the HS1's mic quality? Is there noticable background noise or static?
There is none, really. Some are skeptical because it's a USB headset, since most of the best ones are all analog to get the sound processing from the sound card. But this headset does it for me, it's all I need. I'm not interested in buying a $100+ card plus $200 on a headset to get little to-no gain. I'm not a music producer anyway

Look around try to get a good deal. I paid $80 for mine

Last edited by MrDiaz; December 3, 2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 3, 2010, 10:00 AM
Rookie

Yah, I've decided to get the corsair. I trust their build quality and they have a 2 year manufacturers warranty. Plus, I don't have a sound card so the USB is actually a plus for me.
Old December 3, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have the HS1's... one thing to note is that they are tight on your head... Also they aren't light..

The time-frames that your talking about wearing the headset for, you may want to consider this... I find after a few (many) hrs of wearing these that I really need a break.. They don't hurt my ears.. but they kind of sit on my jaw, This isn't noticable in the short term... BUT after hrs of use it really is

As for the mic on them... generally headsets have a directional mic... ie. if it isn't coming from your mouth or VERY loud, then it shouldn't pick it up in any major way..

I was looking at wireless headsets when I bought these and a m8 got a TINY set that is really light, really comfy (neckband type) and not very expensive.... usb charged.. I would consider something similar if I were you... alot to be said for wireless..
Newegg.com - Logitech H760 USB Connector Supra-aural Wireless Headset
Think these are the ones he got.. Haven't listened to the mic.. but logitech aren't stupid enough to put a rubbish mic on awireless headset (or at least I would imagine)..
Old December 3, 2010, 01:00 PM
Rookie

Those kind of headsets really hurt my ears because I wear glasses. I actually have one of those that works, I just never use it. I'm using it for now because it is all that I have. I'm a bit surprised about your assessment of the HS1s because almost all the reviews site them as some of the most comfortable headsets they've worn. I'll have to consider that though. I was told the HS1s are nice for those with glasses because the ear cups are large. I'll have to check around locally and see if I can't find some to try on.