Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   ASUS Xonar Xense 7.1 Premium Gaming Audio Set Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/38430-asus-xonar-xense-7-1-premium-gaming-audio-set-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL November 29, 2010 08:27 PM

ASUS Xonar Xense 7.1 Premium Gaming Audio Set Review Comment Thread
 
ASUS hasn't been in the PC audio market for all that long but in a short amount of time, they have gained the respect of many hard to please audio aficionados. Their latest creation is the Xense 7.1; an all-in-one solution that incorporates a sound card and a set of specially modified Sennheiser headphones. The goal of the Xense is to provide the perfect soundscape for gamers who want to dabble in all forms of auditory fields but will this make it a jack of all trades but master of none?

[ Read full article ]

FlyingFish November 29, 2010 10:26 PM

Good review. It is a shame that you can't get this without the headphones.

Is there a soundcard that is comparable (a good all rounder for gaming and music) that doesn't come with the headphones?

Tartar: Source November 30, 2010 01:09 AM

I really enjoyed that review. It was good to see very thorough testing with a lot of different types of music represented. I would have liked to see more different hardware brands represented though. Only Asus and Sennheiser products mentioned the whole way through.

Overall, good job. Thanks a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingFish (Post 455544)
Is there a soundcard that is comparable (a good all rounder for gaming and music) that doesn't come with the headphones?

There is the Xonar Essence ST and STX (ST being PCI and STX being PCI-E x1) which is the card used in the comparison graphs. As the review mentions, it does lack native 7.1 support without an extra add on card, but it offers on par if not slightly better performance for 2 channel audio. I currently use a STX with my Sennheiser HD555's and I have been very impressed.

bojangles November 30, 2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tartar: Source (Post 455589)
I really enjoyed that review. It was good to see very thorough testing with a lot of different types of music represented. I would have liked to see more different hardware brands represented though. Only Asus and Sennheiser products mentioned the whole way through.

Overall, good job. Thanks a lot.


There is the Xonar Essence ST and STX (ST being PCI and STX being PCI-E x1) which is the card used in the comparison graphs. As the review mentions, it does lack native 7.1 support without an extra add on card, but it offers on par if not slightly better performance for 2 channel audio. I currently use a STX with my Sennheiser HD555's and I have been very impressed.

That would be awesome except that's all the reviewers have received to compare them to! :biggrin:

Sweet review AkG. That sound card looks like something from Star Trek lol. Not a bad little setup but I agree that the price is just a tad too steep...

SKYMTL November 30, 2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tartar: Source (Post 455589)
I really enjoyed that review. It was good to see very thorough testing with a lot of different types of music represented. I would have liked to see more different hardware brands represented though. Only Asus and Sennheiser products mentioned the whole way through.

We used comparative testing in the RMAA charts. Otherwise, the reason ASUS and Senn were both mention is because that's what we were reviewing: an ASU sound card and rebranded Sennheiser headphones. :thumb:

heflys20 November 30, 2010 12:35 PM

And this is why I want a SC......Particularly for games like Amnesia: Dark Descent.

DkRk November 30, 2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingFish (Post 455544)
Good review. It is a shame that you can't get this without the headphones.

Is there a soundcard that is comparable (a good all rounder for gaming and music) that doesn't come with the headphones?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Tartar: Source (Post 455589)
There is the Xonar Essence ST and STX (ST being PCI and STX being PCI-E x1) which is the card used in the comparison graphs. As the review mentions, it does lack native 7.1 support without an extra add on card, but it offers on par if not slightly better performance for 2 channel audio. I currently use a STX with my Sennheiser HD555's and I have been very impressed.

I concur with the above. The Essence STX is a fantastic card, and while geared more towards audiophiles, it offers very good gaming performance to boot. The software, and Dolby Headphone make it pretty easy to get a simulated surround sound that's pretty accurate, and can make a game like Fallout much more immersive.

Slik December 1, 2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heflys20 (Post 455742)
And this is why I want a SC......Particularly for games like Amnesia: Dark Descent.

Why not wate a week or so for the new X-Meridian7.1 2G from Auzentech? It's PCI and may give you a bit more room than PCI-E. I am using the Xonar Xense right now. Very good card for gaming but I ordered the X-Meridian as I really like Auzentech cards.

belgolas January 21, 2011 04:39 PM

Oh man I just got this today and am loving it. Finally got rid of my crappy Creative XFI-Titanium sound card. This sound card + headphones sounds so much better than my old headphones and sound card. The mic is also very good.

I have a question. What settings do you guys use for those that have one.

I also put in these op-amps though not sure if it made any difference. NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Xonar Op AMP Upgrade Kit for Essence ST/STX & Xense X - 90-YAA00SP1000BZ In Canada.

lowfat January 21, 2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belgolas (Post 476970)
Oh man I just got this today and am loving it. Finally got rid of my crappy Creative XFI-Titanium sound card. This sound card + headphones sounds so much better than my old headphones and sound card. The mic is also very good.

I have a question. What settings do you guys use for those that have one.

I also put in these op-amps though not sure if it made any difference. NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Xonar Op AMP Upgrade Kit for Essence ST/STX & Xense X - 90-YAA00SP1000BZ In Canada.

Holy eff do they rape you on the price of those opamps. $3.36 each @ Digikey. Although that is before shipping.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:17 PM.