Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default recording a guitar on a pc help.

my brother has reached the limits of learning to play the guitar and needs to start recording his stuff so i need help finding out what i need for him to connect everything, the cheaper the better but quality would be nice. i dont want to get the cable that goes into the mic port. all help is appreciated. budget is $300
some software suggestion would be nice to so he can edit it all.

if this need to be moved i am sorry please move it.
Old November 27, 2010, 09:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I know this doesn't help you however in college a few years ago I did a final year design project which allowed an easy and cheap interface to the pc via usb. Unfortunately we never continued it once we finished college and no guitar/instrument company was interest in it at the time of development.
Old November 28, 2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

I just started back into playing guitar again & was looking into pc guitar based stuff, there's a few ways you can go about it:

1. usb to 1/4" preamp adaptor: Axe music has it I believe it's part of some guitar amp/effect modeling software you can buy & I believe it is around $110 or so for it

2. Higher end Digitech multi effect pedals like the RP255 & RP355 I believe have a usb connection that can record what your playing thru it.

3. Peavey Vyper 30, its a solid state hybred 30 watt with 12" speaker amp that has usb connectivity on it that does allow for it to be recorded, only problem with the recording it is it's only in a mono stream & not stereo for some reason.

Hope that helps you some. :)
Old November 28, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Tascam

One of these to mice input on computer

Tascam 424 mkII Multitrack recorder - Ottawa Musical Instruments For Sale - Kijiji Ottawa Canada.

Vocal and instrument inputs

Edit: I found 242 at garge sale sold it to a buddy he loves it
Old November 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
Rookie

1. What kind of guitar do you want to record - acoustic, electric, bass?

2. What kind of guitar gear do you already have - effect pedals, modeling processor, amp/cab/combo?

There are myriads of methods to make a guitar recording...
Old December 1, 2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

just a update to this thread & my responce on it.

Digitech RP255 goes for around $180 & from my reading it's not only a great lil multi effects board but also recordable in full stereo as well as all the effects can also be modified on the pc as well insted of just on the board. Also comes with 3 wah's & digitechs own Whammy effect which in itself is a almost $200 pedal.
Old December 1, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Best way to do it would be with an Mbox (the Digidesign name for an external recording device) in conjuction with Pro Tools. The Mbox will have 1/4 inch jacks for mics or guitars. Could also run it through the amp first to use the effects of your amp. On a budget of $300, I think Pro Tools is a no go since I think the lowest price on it is around $600. Mbox should only be around $200-300 though. You can also grab the Line6 TonePort UX1 for around $150 I believe.
Old December 26, 2010, 07:45 PM
Rookie

Best thing to do is get a Line 6 Pod Studio UX1. Somes with an amp simulation program (AmpFarm) and Riffworks, which is a great tool for people who are new to recording. The UX1 is also an ASIO interface, so latency will be minimal, and can also save the rest of the family headaches because of headphone jacks.

You should be agle to get one at a Long and McQuaid fo about 250 bucks.