Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Thinking of getting a sound card (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/38371-thinking-getting-sound-card.html)

heflys20 November 27, 2010 08:49 PM

Thinking of getting a sound card

Anyway, I'm thinking of purchasing a sound card, since I'm a little bit wary of my on-board unit (Realtek ALC887). It's been acting a little funky with some older titles, and I noticed some sound issues in Mass Effect.

Anyways, I'm narrowing down my choices to the Xonar DX/D1 (whichever), Azuntech Bravura or X-Fi Titanium......I've heard Creative's drivers suck (this may no longer be the case), and that the Bravura possibly uses a software version of X-Fi. As a result, I'm leaning towards the Xonar, since it's cheaper.

Anyway, does it make sense for me to upgrade? Currently, I have some average (mediocre even) Cyber Acoustics for speakers (the CA-3602 model) to tide me over, since my previous 5.1 speakers bit the dust.

With these decent speaks, does it make sense to buy a sound card? I mostly game and listen to music. I plan on updating my speakers in the near-future......

YukonTrooper November 27, 2010 09:59 PM

On-board sound has come a long way. Even with most "high-end" computer speakers, the differences between modern on-board chips and dedicated sound-cards are pretty minimal. Quality stereo headphones, quality bookshelf speakers and monitors make sound-card upgrades worthwhile. Having said that, there are some PC speakers that would make an upgrade worth it, such as the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. They have style, too. Only 2.1, though.

heflys20 November 27, 2010 10:46 PM

Those Harmon's are interesting, folks have also been pointing me towards Promedia 2.1 and the HiVi Swan M10......I was looking at Logitech, but folks keep saying they're garbage.

Jackquelegs November 28, 2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heflys20 (Post 454837)
Those Harmon's are interesting, folks have also been pointing me towards Promedia 2.1 and the HiVi Swan M10......I was looking at Logitech, but folks keep saying they're garbage.

Folks are usually right en mass. You can't go wrong with Promedia 2.1. But it's not worth upgrading if you plan to use those speakers for a while.

heflys20 November 28, 2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 454858)
Folks are usually right en mass. You can't go wrong with Promedia 2.1. But it's not worth upgrading if you plan to use those speakers for a while.

True.......I might just pick up the Swans, since I like their clean look more than the Promedia.

Jackquelegs November 28, 2010 04:01 AM

Sounds good, the Swans are very nice speakers, but quite hard to get

kingnubian November 28, 2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 454870)
Sounds good, the Swans are very nice speakers, but quite hard to get

Would love to know where to at least listen to the Swans in the Montreal area.

I have an HT Omega Claro+ & am very happy with it. Definite improvement over the onboard sound of my Gigabyte UD5 X58 motherboard. More clarity in the highs & tightness in the lows. Naturally you will need a good set of speakers, as well as source material, to really evaluate sound card upgrades.

gingerbee November 28, 2010 03:52 PM

logitech are just fine unless your an audio nut. i love my z5500 not as good as the kef's but still great unit. justmy2cents:thumb:

Jackquelegs November 28, 2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 455024)
logitech are just fine unless your an audio nut. i love my z5500 not as good as the kef's but still great unit. justmy2cents:thumb:

No, they're just fine only if you've heard nothing but logitechs. :blarg:

enaberif November 28, 2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 455049)
No, they're just fine only if you've heard nothing but logitechs. :blarg:

Or have lack of good hearing :P