Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2010, 11:30 PM
Rookie

Default Best 5.1 Headset?

I'm looking to buy a nice 5.1 surround sound headset and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations.

Price doesn't really matter,
I'll be using it mostly for gaming,
Good positional audio is important.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at the Psyko 5.1 PC Gaming Headset, which seems pretty high end. Anyone ever used them?

Thanks!

Also, what is the difference between an analog and usb headset, performance wise?
Old November 21, 2010, 11:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This thread might get you started. best GAMING headset ?
Old November 21, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The best 5.1 headset is a quality stereo headphone from a reputable headphone company and a clip-on mic.
Old November 22, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFordZ View Post
I'm looking to buy a nice 5.1 surround sound headset and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations.

Price doesn't really matter,
I'll be using it mostly for gaming,
Good positional audio is important.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at the Psyko 5.1 PC Gaming Headset, which seems pretty high end. Anyone ever used them?

Thanks!

Also, what is the difference between an analog and usb headset, performance wise?
I have the Psyko 5.1 headphones and have been using them for over a year. This is a true 5.1 analog set of cans that do not require drivers or special set up. Just plug them straight into your sound card. USB requires Dolby or some other form of emulation for 5.1 surround. The Psykos are as close to desk top speakers as you are ever going to get.You mentioned you would be using headphones primarily for gaming and that is EXACTLY what the Psykos were designed for. You will read some negatives regarding the quality of music etc. but they are not all that bad in that area as well. NCIX is selling them for $200.00 and for that price,you can have a set of desk top speakers on your head. They really sound that good when gaming. Driver Heaven has a detailed review of the Psykos used for GAMING. Good luck with whatever you end up with and let us know. Yay Psyko.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 22, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oops! forgot to mention, my Wife is also an avid gamer [First person shooters] and she too has a set of Psykos .Perfect positional sound lets you know where EVERY sound is coming from.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 22, 2010, 08:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The big dif between USB and "normal" headsets is the DACs used to power them. IF all you got is onboard sound some of the newer USB based headsets will sound better than a high and headset + onboard combo. IF you have a GOOD soundcard (xonar ST + 7.1 daughter card add-on being one of the best combos out there or Xonar Xense or etc etc) the USB cans will sound a lot worse than a good headset will sound like.

I have the PA 5.1s and they are decent...but damn are they HEAVY. Its like gaming with a motorcycle helmet on (Ok...a SMALL helmet but they are heavy) and it does take awhile to get used to them. They also SUCK for music, movies and anything not gaming related.

If you can give us some info on what you will powering the cans with we probably can give you some specific recommendations. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 22, 2010, 02:21 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the great info guys!

I'll probably get the psykos, they seem pretty amazing.

I'll let you know what I think when I get them.

EDIT: I just got them and I have to say, I've never had a better headset. They are well worth the money and really give you a true surround sound experience.

Last edited by TJFordZ; November 26, 2010 at 01:13 PM.