Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Worth Upgrading From Audigy 2 ZS? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/38032-worth-upgrading-audigy-2-zs.html)

Berlusconi November 16, 2010 01:54 PM

Worth Upgrading From Audigy 2 ZS?

I currently have an Audigy 2 ZS installed in my current rig. I use it primarily for music. I do some light gaming on the side, but that's not my main concern.

I could honestly care less about gaming audio quality versus audio quality in general.

When I found this card in a box of parts I was just curious, so I asked about it and the owner knew nothing of it and said to take it for free, so I did. Once I had the thing installed in my rig and heard the quality I was amazed at the difference in quality versus the integrated audio on the ASUS M4A785-M.

Now, my question is, is it worth upgrading? I have a $60 budget and want to put it towards my computer. Sound quality, as stated, is my biggest concern. I don't want to drop $60 into a card if I won't notice much of a difference. I could always put the money aside and save up for a new video card or perhaps an SSD.

So is it?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :thumb:

KaptCrunch November 16, 2010 01:58 PM

$60 for upgrade save your money and wait for on new MB have the same quality as A2z

Berlusconi November 16, 2010 02:02 PM

To be completely honest, your post made almost no sense to me. I'm assuming you're saying that I should save up for a new motherboard? I'd rather not save up and buy another motherboard only to have to upgrade all of my other hardware such as processor, RAM, etc. Besides, most current boards still have mediocre integrated audio and the Z2 is still superior, in most cases.

SugarJ November 16, 2010 02:23 PM

I doubt you'd be able to hear the difference between that card and any other you could pick up in your $60 price range. I'd save up for a SSD boot drive, you'd notice that upgrade more in day to day usage.

JD November 16, 2010 02:30 PM

These would probably give you some improvement. However I can't say how noticeable it will be.

Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

Newegg.com - Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Newegg.com - Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

Dr_BenD_over November 16, 2010 02:38 PM

Hardware X-Fi's are better than the A2's, but you won't get one in that price range.

JD November 16, 2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over (Post 450872)
Hardware X-Fi's are better than the A2's, but you won't get one in that price range.

If I recall, that XtremeGamer card I linked is? It's a bit over $60, but not too expensive.

YukonTrooper November 16, 2010 05:25 PM

If you gamed more, I would suggest an X-Fi; however, there are better and cheaper options for mainly music. Having said this, what listening gear are you using? There may be no point in upgrading if your gear isn't up to snuff.

Berlusconi November 17, 2010 05:48 PM

All of these cards are great, but a bit out of my price range. I've been looking at a lot of the ASUS cards. I've owned a lot of their hardware and have been thoroughly impressed thus far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukonTrooper (Post 450940)
If you gamed more, I would suggest an X-Fi; however, there are better and cheaper options for mainly music. Having said this, what listening gear are you using? There may be no point in upgrading if your gear isn't up to snuff.

Most of the time I'm using a Sony TA-AV561 receiver, Philips CS-3400 5.1 channel speakers (satellite speakers, and subwoofer) and for headphones I've been using a pair of SteelSeries 7H. :thumb:

YukonTrooper November 17, 2010 08:23 PM

If your budget is that restricted, I don't think you'll be able to find any worthwhile replacement. Besides, the Audigy2 ZS is a good card.