Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
Rookie

Default Best headset for MMO's

I'm trying to look for a good, sub-100$, headset that has a clear microphone, is very durable, and has pretty good audio quality. Basically:

Durability > Good Sound > Good Voice
Old November 6, 2010, 05:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I recommend the razer carcharias, has everything your looking for and i have been enjoying mine for 2 months.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old November 6, 2010, 05:24 PM
Rookie

I've heard it has some durability issues from a few of the reviews I've read ><
Old November 6, 2010, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From the dozens of users of Carcharias (myself included), I don't think they have any durability issues.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old November 6, 2010, 11:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have no durability issues at all with mine, with some casual abuse of throwing it on my bed, dropping it on the floor, accidentally sitting on it, stuffing it in my bag for LAN parties, and it still in perfect condition.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old November 7, 2010, 12:49 PM
Rookie

try to find a headset made by a headphone company, and not one rebranded by some niche market gaming brand who just rebrands other company's products and adds markup. sennheisers, ultrasone, beyerdynamic all make cheaper, better headsets then are available from rebranders, i mean sure you can get cheaper crap, but why not spend $100 wisely instead of having $85 of your money go towards marketing fluff and plastic paint and $15 towards the cost of the actual sound drivers. something along these lines is your best bet :
NCIX.com - Buy Sennheiser PC131 Gaming Stereo Headset 30-18000HZ 32OHMS 10FT BLACK-SILVER Noise Cancel Mic - 500912 In Canada.

Beyerdynamic MMX 2 Digital Gaming Headset 485896 B&H Photo Video

Last edited by raoul_sanchez; November 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old November 7, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_sanchez View Post
try to find a headset made by a headphone company, and not one rebranded by some niche market gaming brand who just rebrands other company's products and adds markup. sennheisers, ultrasone, beyerdynamic all make cheaper, better headsets then are available from rebranders, i mean sure you can get cheaper crap, but why not spend $100 wisely instead of having $85 of your money go towards marketing fluff and plastic paint and $15 towards the cost of the actual sound drivers. something along these lines is your best bet :
NCIX.com - Buy Sennheiser PC131 Gaming Stereo Headset 30-18000HZ 32OHMS 10FT BLACK-SILVER Noise Cancel Mic - 500912 In Canada.

Beyerdynamic MMX 2 Digital Gaming Headset 485896 B&H Photo Video
You have much to learn raoul. Have you even tried the Carcharias and the headsets you listed? If not, I don't think your comparison is valid, and it's probably stemming from your bias.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old November 7, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well to be FAIR a good rule of thumb is buy from a company that MAKES headphones/headsets and not one that rebadges them..but there are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
The pc131s are to put it mildly...less than optimal design (talk about 85% marketing 15% towards materials...these could be the poster child for that!), whereas the Carcharias are supposedly very decent for their asking price. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 7, 2010, 05:07 PM
Rookie

to be honest i've not to listen to either of them, but if i was a betting man, i would still bet on the two picks i've left to have better sound quality than any gaming rebrand company could conjur up. hey i may be wrong, but i'd be willing to bet your life that there is a reputable headphone manufacturer that creates either an equal headset for cheaper or a superior headset than any rebrander's product at the same price point, unless you're getting some rediculous deal from inventory overstock that is. thats just me tho, and i prefer getting my monies worth.

and to be totally honest, if i were to reccomend something cheap, and superior to most, it would be a seperate cheapo zalman clip on mic, with a pair of koss porta pros. cost you $50 i'm willing to bet would sound more like $150-200, but of course no prestige, which can be worth alot of $$ depending on your ego.
Old November 7, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Oh I agree. Get a clip on MIC and a pair of GOOD headphones and most would be much better off. But by the same token, you may wish to preface your comments on a subject you don't have direct experience with. Kinda hard to recommend a product if you have never used it ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; November 7, 2010 at 06:00 PM.