Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2010, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Question sound card

Hi Im new to this forum and I need some advice.
I want to buy a good sound card but I dont know which one. I was thinking about the Asus Xonar D2 or Creative X-fi xtreme gamer-Fatal1ty Pro edition. I play a lot of Counter Strike 1.6 also I listen to music a lot and I watch movies occasionally. Straight to the point, I am looking for a sound card that:
  • will give me good footsteps distance in cs 1.6
  • Good positioning in cs 1.6
  • Good quality for music and movies
Also I am SteelSeries 5hv2 headphones right now, but I am going to upgrade to Audio Technica's ATH AD700. Also the sound cards price cant go over 100.00
Thanks for reading :)
Old November 6, 2010, 12:26 AM
MVP

Are you looking for PCI-E or PCI? Also, do you have any preference between Dolby labs tech or Creative CMSS3D? Also, what kind of connections do you need? All 3.5mm jacks? Optical, coax, HDMI?

The Latest graphics card to come out is the Xonar Xense, and it comes with some nice headphones if you aren't settled on those AD700s.

The Xonar DX is a well regarded card, and you can get it for a good price here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...take-cash.html

That Creative card you mentioned seems a little dated, but it will probobly do a good job. Auzentech has some cards that use Creative technology that are newer, such as the Bravura and Forte.

Any of the cards I have mentioned will be great for letting you hear the footsteps.
Old November 6, 2010, 12:35 AM

My System Specs

I have no idea what hardware costs are like over there. But good choices for headphone cards are (in my personal order): Asus Xonar Essence STX, Auzentech Forte, Auzen Bravura.
Old November 6, 2010, 12:43 AM
MVP

I don't think the STX is really built for gaming is it? I thought it was all about music. It is also out of his budget.
Old November 6, 2010, 04:32 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply's :D
I would prefer pci card
I dont really have any preference between Dolby labs tech or Creative CMSS3D because I dont know which one is better for Gaming. (Thats why Im writing here, so you guys help me :)
And all I use is 3.5mm jacks, one for the mic and one for heaphones or speakers.
Also I am sure that I will buy the Audio Technica's ATH AD 700's.

Also I know this creative card is not produced anymore but my friends who plays Counter Strike for 8 years told me that he had one of those and he was really happy with it, if I would be 100% sure with this card I would probably buy it as used.
Also I am not convinced with the Auzentech products. For me Auzentech is just a cheapier copy of Creative's hardware.
Thanks
Old November 6, 2010, 10:18 AM
MVP

Since CS 1.6 is older, that soundcard is probably fine for it so if you can get a good deal on it then go for it. Most people consider Auzen to use higher quality parts then Creative, but each to his own. You mentioned the card needs to be good for movies, so do you want Dolby digital live? Do you have surround sound? Are you connecting this card to a televison or just watching movies on your PC with bookshelf speakers?
Old November 6, 2010, 10:28 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNs3CuRe View Post
Also I am not convinced with the Auzentech products. For me Auzentech is just a cheapier copy of Creative's hardware.
Thanks
You need to rethink that. It is the opposite way. In general Auzentechs cards are of much higher quality than Creative.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You need to rethink that. It is the opposite way. In general Auzentechs cards are of much higher quality than Creative.
This.
Old November 24, 2010, 05:15 AM
Rookie

I love listening to music.. can any one suggest me a good sound card which can give me a good quality of music.
Old November 24, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNs3CuRe View Post
Thanks for the reply's :D
I would prefer pci card
I dont really have any preference between Dolby labs tech or Creative CMSS3D because I dont know which one is better for Gaming. (Thats why Im writing here, so you guys help me :)
And all I use is 3.5mm jacks, one for the mic and one for heaphones or speakers.
Also I am sure that I will buy the Audio Technica's ATH AD 700's.

Also I know this creative card is not produced anymore but my friends who plays Counter Strike for 8 years told me that he had one of those and he was really happy with it, if I would be 100% sure with this card I would probably buy it as used.
Thanks
I don't know if you ordered a card yet,but if you are still considering,I highly suggest you go with Auzentech. The X-FI Forte is one of the best for gaming but it's PCE-E. If you can find a Prelude,it too is a great gamer and it is PCI. I don't know what made you think Auzentech is a lesser card than Creative,but I can tell you it is just the opposite. Auzentech will NOT let you down.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5

Tags
sound.card.xfi.gaming