Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2010, 11:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Give me your cheap speaker advice

I bought a new motherboard and it supports 5.1 sound and has 6 nice little jacks in the back which look to me to be 3.5 mm. Instead of buying a bunch of new speakers I thought I might scrounge around and use some cheap speakers I had laying around. Unfortunately they all have 2 bare wires at the end. Anyone know of some connector that will take the wire and make it into a 3.5 mm plug to go into the back of the mother board? At some point I might buy some decent speakers but right now I just want to experiment.

I am not familiar with surround sound set ups so try not to roll your eyes too much. If I am missing any other key points please let me know (speak slowly and use small words). Is the surround sound active just by plugging the speakers into the plugs or is there some software setting that have to be enabled.
Attached Images

Old November 2, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
I bought a new motherboard and it supports 5.1 sound and has 6 nice little jacks in the back which look to me to be 3.5 mm. Instead of buying a bunch of new speakers I thought I might scrounge around and use some cheap speakers I had laying around. Unfortunately they all have 2 bare wires at the end. Anyone know of some connector that will take the wire and make it into a 3.5 mm plug to go into the back of the mother board? At some point I might buy some decent speakers but right now I just want to experiment.

I am not familiar with surround sound set ups so try not to roll your eyes too much. If I am missing any other key points please let me know (speak slowly and use small words). Is the surround sound active just by plugging the speakers into the plugs or is there some software setting that have to be enabled.
No, the output of the 3.5mm jacks are FAR too low to drive any speaker that uses the normal speaker cables. What you need to do is get a home theater receiver or a decent amplifier. Even simpler, buy a cheap set of X-540 from logitech.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old November 2, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can Coax sound out to on the bord you pictured its the orge plug beteen the PS2 ports and the USB ports on the bord. Looks like it has a platic dummy plug in it if you wan to use coav you will take the platic protector out.

Look on Kijiji fore an amp ?

edit:Logitech X-530 Computer Speakers System - Ottawa accessoires informatiques vendre - Kijiji Ottawa

Last edited by ZZLEE; November 2, 2010 at 01:57 PM.