Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2010, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Fluance speaker systems

Has anyone here bought, used or heard of this company? They claim prices are really low by bying directly from them. I'm thinking of purchasing one of their 5 channel sets to replace my current HTIB speakers. I can't find one bad review. I've gone through their website and they seem to be nice speakers for the price. Lifetime warranty on their passive speakers and 2years on their subs. Perhaps our audio gurus could make a few comments. Thanks.

www.fluance.com

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old December 2, 2010, 11:00 AM
Rookie

As far as I can tell Fluance flood sites with reviews from their own employees. This is some info from a poster at Secrets of Home Theatre and High Fidelity:

Quote:
just recently purchased a set of SV-10's and I must say, either all of the previous reviews that I have seen where done by FLUANCE themselves or there are a lot of people who don't know what REAL speakers are supposed to sound like! First off I did what everyone claims to do such as give them time to break in, Bi-wire, bla, bla ,bla and still all they could muster was just plain ole' sound! Sort of like they way basic car speakers sound, flat muddy with the detail hidden below the mud! So i figured i would crack these mudd ducks open and see what was inside! Boy did I get hosed! Of course I knew that was probably gonna happen, but now we know. First off, the wood is of the pressed fiber type and measures 11mm thick, not even 1/2"! Then I pulled the sub out, if you could call it that, and just as I figured, Junk!I have seen better stock CAR speakers then these! Then there's the cross-over, Now I am thinking maybe the crossover is the real thing, but nope, once again junk! Hell, my kid could have done a better job in electronics class! maybe thats why when I put my ear up to the sub you can hear just about everything. So much for "Low Pass" filtering! I think it was more like "All pass filtering" And never mind the dampening foam....OK maybe the small little piece they threw in is good enough! Anyway you getthe picture! Not even anywhere near worth $299.00! I could run out to my car, pull out my Pioneers, slap them in a wooden box and even they would sound better! There is one thing good that I can say and that is the build quality is not too bad. All in all these are just another scam speaker but with a better quality build to make you think you are getting something worthwhile but in reality just another "White Van" speaker. I hope this sheds some light these speakers
I guess at that price it's no big loss to try them, but I'd rather spend my money on some great Canadian speakers like Axiom Audio.
Old December 11, 2010, 04:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I couldn't find that particular review. How old is it? I have been reading recent audio forum member reviews from a few different forums and most people seem to be happy with them. The only negative feedback on ebay was that a speaker cabinet was damaged. I just bought this set on ebay for $230 shipped. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

Fluance AVHTB+ Surround Sound Home Theater 5 Speaker System

Old December 11, 2010, 06:01 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I think you get what you pay for, one of my Towers cost more than their whole speaker system. Not to come of as an audio snob however with Audio other than the odd rare deal you need to spend some respectable coin to get top quality sound.

Another Guy From Canada
Old December 11, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't have a huge budget right now as I'm picking up a new LCD tv and wall unit next week. I'm sure they'll fit the bill until I can get something better.

Old December 11, 2010, 09:15 AM
Top Prospect

If you want quality for a good price them look at svsound from the states. You can order their stuff from sonicboomaudio.com
When i purchased my setup it was out of my price range since I bought a nice receiver instead but still went with a svsound sub. Hoping to upgrade to their speakers at one point with towers in the front.
Old December 15, 2010, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I ordered these on Friday and they arrived at my door on Tuesday. 91lbs total. I unpacked them and took a few pics. At $248 shipped, no big deal. I figured I'd give Canadian speakers a chance. They even came with solid brass speaker spikes.

Name:  DSCF0844 (Small).JPG
Views: 2411
Size:  44.0 KBName:  DSCF0860 (Small).JPG
Views: 2053
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0862 (Small).JPG
Views: 2173
Size:  47.7 KBName:  DSCF0845 (Small).JPG
Views: 2070
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  DSCF0846 (Small).JPG
Views: 2059
Size:  80.6 KBName:  DSCF0853 (Small).JPG
Views: 2034
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0856 (Small).JPG
Views: 2523
Size:  60.7 KBName:  DSCF0857 (Small).JPG
Views: 2111
Size:  84.6 KB

Last edited by mo' power; December 15, 2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Fluance sounds way to close to Nuance for me even imagine buying them. Some of my close friends got hosed on Nuance systems for over 5 grand. I have heard better sound from a 5" coaxial held under water.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

So, what's your opinion on your new speakers?

Old December 24, 2010, 02:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Fluance sounds way to close to Nuance for me even imagine buying them. Some of my close friends got hosed on Nuance systems for over 5 grand. I have heard better sound from a 5" coaxial held under water.
While reading up on Fluance, I ran into a few Nuance threads. These are not Nuance, nor are they linked in any way with Nuance.

I'll say now that these are not audiophile quality speakers, nor did I expect them to be. I am using an 8" Sony 100W active sub with these speakers. I gave them a few days to break in at a modest volume level and then gave them a bit of a go with my Cowon mp3 player (sounded great), different music channels on rogers galaxy music stations (analog) and a few movies. My receiver still needs a few adjustments as my centre channel needs to be lowered a bit and my rear channels need to be turned up a bit.
In the reviews that I have read, the 6.5" woofers do lack a bit in the bass department and a powered sub is recommended (but then again a sub is recommended for any sytem). The mids sound ok and the tweeters performed better than I thought they would with crisp clean highs. I have listened to quite a few HTIB speakers and these will beat them hands down. I could easily get evicted from my apartment with these. These are great for a small or medium size room and with a lifetime warranty and a price of around $240-$260 ebay auction or $300 ordered direct, they're a great buy for those who are on a budget. I'm glad I took a chance on them. Great bang for the buck!