Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Fluance speaker systems (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/37574-fluance-speaker-systems.html)

mo' power October 31, 2010 08:37 AM

Fluance speaker systems

Has anyone here bought, used or heard of this company? They claim prices are really low by bying directly from them. I'm thinking of purchasing one of their 5 channel sets to replace my current HTIB speakers. I can't find one bad review. I've gone through their website and they seem to be nice speakers for the price. Lifetime warranty on their passive speakers and 2years on their subs. Perhaps our audio gurus could make a few comments. Thanks.

www.fluance.com

dobyblue December 2, 2010 11:00 AM

As far as I can tell Fluance flood sites with reviews from their own employees. This is some info from a poster at Secrets of Home Theatre and High Fidelity:

Quote:

just recently purchased a set of SV-10's and I must say, either all of the previous reviews that I have seen where done by FLUANCE themselves or there are a lot of people who don't know what REAL speakers are supposed to sound like! First off I did what everyone claims to do such as give them time to break in, Bi-wire, bla, bla ,bla and still all they could muster was just plain ole' sound! Sort of like they way basic car speakers sound, flat muddy with the detail hidden below the mud! So i figured i would crack these mudd ducks open and see what was inside! Boy did I get hosed! Of course I knew that was probably gonna happen, but now we know. First off, the wood is of the pressed fiber type and measures 11mm thick, not even 1/2"! Then I pulled the sub out, if you could call it that, and just as I figured, Junk!I have seen better stock CAR speakers then these! Then there's the cross-over, Now I am thinking maybe the crossover is the real thing, but nope, once again junk! Hell, my kid could have done a better job in electronics class! maybe thats why when I put my ear up to the sub you can hear just about everything. So much for "Low Pass" filtering! I think it was more like "All pass filtering" And never mind the dampening foam....OK maybe the small little piece they threw in is good enough! Anyway you getthe picture! Not even anywhere near worth $299.00! I could run out to my car, pull out my Pioneers, slap them in a wooden box and even they would sound better! There is one thing good that I can say and that is the build quality is not too bad. All in all these are just another scam speaker but with a better quality build to make you think you are getting something worthwhile but in reality just another "White Van" speaker. I hope this sheds some light these speakers
I guess at that price it's no big loss to try them, but I'd rather spend my money on some great Canadian speakers like Axiom Audio.

mo' power December 11, 2010 04:58 AM

I couldn't find that particular review. How old is it? I have been reading recent audio forum member reviews from a few different forums and most people seem to be happy with them. The only negative feedback on ebay was that a speaker cabinet was damaged. I just bought this set on ebay for $230 shipped. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

Fluance AVHTB+ Surround Sound Home Theater 5 Speaker System

Snarl December 11, 2010 06:01 AM

I think you get what you pay for, one of my Towers cost more than their whole speaker system. Not to come of as an audio snob however with Audio other than the odd rare deal you need to spend some respectable coin to get top quality sound.

mo' power December 11, 2010 06:09 AM

I don't have a huge budget right now as I'm picking up a new LCD tv and wall unit next week. I'm sure they'll fit the bill until I can get something better.

timbruun December 11, 2010 09:15 AM

If you want quality for a good price them look at svsound from the states. You can order their stuff from sonicboomaudio.com
When i purchased my setup it was out of my price range since I bought a nice receiver instead but still went with a svsound sub. Hoping to upgrade to their speakers at one point with towers in the front.

mo' power December 15, 2010 01:59 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I ordered these on Friday and they arrived at my door on Tuesday. 91lbs total. I unpacked them and took a few pics. At $248 shipped, no big deal. I figured I'd give Canadian speakers a chance. They even came with solid brass speaker spikes.

Attachment 12378Attachment 12379

Attachment 12380Attachment 12381

Attachment 12382Attachment 12383

Attachment 12386Attachment 12387

turtletrax December 23, 2010 12:29 AM

Fluance sounds way to close to Nuance for me even imagine buying them. Some of my close friends got hosed on Nuance systems for over 5 grand. I have heard better sound from a 5" coaxial held under water.

punk_zappa December 23, 2010 12:29 PM

So, what's your opinion on your new speakers?

mo' power December 24, 2010 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtletrax (Post 465698)
Fluance sounds way to close to Nuance for me even imagine buying them. Some of my close friends got hosed on Nuance systems for over 5 grand. I have heard better sound from a 5" coaxial held under water.

While reading up on Fluance, I ran into a few Nuance threads. These are not Nuance, nor are they linked in any way with Nuance.

I'll say now that these are not audiophile quality speakers, nor did I expect them to be. I am using an 8" Sony 100W active sub with these speakers. I gave them a few days to break in at a modest volume level and then gave them a bit of a go with my Cowon mp3 player (sounded great), different music channels on rogers galaxy music stations (analog) and a few movies. My receiver still needs a few adjustments as my centre channel needs to be lowered a bit and my rear channels need to be turned up a bit.
In the reviews that I have read, the 6.5" woofers do lack a bit in the bass department and a powered sub is recommended (but then again a sub is recommended for any sytem). The mids sound ok and the tweeters performed better than I thought they would with crisp clean highs. I have listened to quite a few HTIB speakers and these will beat them hands down. I could easily get evicted from my apartment with these. These are great for a small or medium size room and with a lifetime warranty and a price of around $240-$260 ebay auction or $300 ordered direct, they're a great buy for those who are on a budget. I'm glad I took a chance on them. Great bang for the buck!