Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   best GAMING headset ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/37253-best-gaming-headset.html)

Cadence October 19, 2010 03:39 PM

best GAMING headset ?

Hi guys, so I've looked through and through all the different threads about the Razer Megalodon , Sennheiser 555/350, Logitech G35, Razer Carcharias.

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of headphones PURELY for gaming because I already have an Auzentech Prelude card and Logitech Z5500 for everything else (movies, music,etc.) which is satisfactory for me especially since I got both for a sale price. I want a solid headset, I find steel series to be a little plastic-y and fragile.

Why do I think I need a headset? Gamer mentality lol, no just kidding ..sort of. But it's for late gaming nights or lan-parties, and I/members of my house, don't need to hear people trolling/swearing all over my house from my 5.1 setup. So I won't be using these headphones so much for music and movies.

I don't mind used as long as it's not gross, regarding price standpoint.

And hopefully this thread can turn into an UPDATED "best headset thread" since all the other ones are only when they come out and don't compare to other headsets.

Thanks!

Edit: I will be most likely be playing FPS games : L4D2, CS:S, CS 1.6, MOH, BF2, etc.etc.

Stock October 19, 2010 04:11 PM

I personally own a Razer Carcharias and a Senheisser PC151. Between the two, the Carcharias is 10 times more comfortable (I have glasses too btw), and I can use them for 4 hour+ sessions of gaming + Ventrilo. The microphone between the two are pretty equal and I haven't known anyone whose been able to distinguish the difference between them when I talk. It pretty much sounds as clear and concise on vent as anyone wants. In terms of listening to music and watching videos between the two, I prefer the Sen's. The Carcharias' sound too muddy in comparison with regards to the mids/bass for me unfortunately.

Something that you've also probably noted...the 555's don't have an attached mic so you'd have to get a clip on. If you like to game and listen to music at the same time while communicating with your teammates on vent, they might not appreciate the background noise. :) It might just make more sense for you to pick up a headset.

Edit: I've been using both headsets for over a year, at what I'd consider to be moderate-heavy use (4 hours+ a day). Both are still in impeccable condition. :thumb:

Xeven October 19, 2010 04:14 PM

I'd get whichever "fits" the best and has decent sound. IMO, comfort is key when gaming and it doesn't have to be the ultra expensive kind. I had an HD595 once and although it had a much better sound quality vs my el-cheapo Sony headphones, I found the Sony headphone to be "superior" because they fitted to my head better and thus allowing extended gaming runs.

That being said, I hear good things about the Carcharias.

Cadence October 19, 2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stock (Post 440425)
I personally own a Razer Carcharias and a Senheisser PC151. Between the two, the Carcharias is 10 times more comfortable (I have glasses too btw), and I can use them for 4 hour+ sessions of gaming + Ventrilo. The microphone between the two are pretty equal and I haven't known anyone whose been able to distinguish the difference between them when I talk. It pretty much sounds as clear and concise on vent as anyone wants. In terms of listening to music and watching videos between the two, I prefer the Sen's. The Carcharias' sound too muddy in comparison with regards to the mids/bass for me unfortunately.

Something that you've also probably noted...the 555's don't have an attached mic so you'd have to get a clip on. If you like to game and listen to music at the same time while communicating with your teammates on vent, they might not appreciate the background noise. :) It might just make more sense for you to pick up a headset.

Edit: I've been using both headsets for over a year, at what I'd consider to be moderate-heavy use (4 hours+ a day). Both are still in impeccable condition. :thumb:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Razer Carcharias about double the price of the Sen 151's?

Jackquelegs October 19, 2010 07:11 PM

151 and Carcharias are at the same pricepoint

Herrmoo October 19, 2010 07:29 PM

At what pricepoint are you asking? If price isn't the issue, then the best headset would be the Beyer MMX 300. However, you're honestly better off get a good set of headphones and using a clip-on microphone.

For completely closed DT 770s are great. If you want a more accurate overall sound as well as good soundstage, DT 880s/AD 900/AD 700 are a good choice - however, open/semi-open.

Stay away from any headphone/headset labeled "gaming" as a general rule. I'm looking at you, Razer.

Jackquelegs October 19, 2010 07:48 PM

In my opinion the Carcharias are baby Beyers, except they are more open air. After all it is 70$, new 770s cost at least twice as much

Cadence October 19, 2010 07:51 PM

I'm being recommended the Sennheiser 350's which imo looks pretty damn good.

odis172 October 19, 2010 07:55 PM

+1 for Audio Technica AD700. I decided for gaming, excellent 2 channel headphones trump 5.1 headphones. I forget the audiophile lingo, but basically they are "open" as opposed to "closed"(the majority of headphones) so it provides better directional positioning, at the cost of a slight amount of bass. Coupled with a Xonar d2x with dolby headphone, i love them for First person shooters. I can hear sounds that I couldnt before, like subtle sounds in shooters, and music. If you feel like getting into the technical aspects of headphones, the forums of head-fi.org is a great resource.

MpG October 20, 2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadence (Post 440555)
I'm being recommended the Sennheiser 350's which imo looks pretty damn good.

The 350's are quite nice for gaming, especially their microphone, but they're not +$200-nice. They're also a little weak with music, although you've said that isn't a concern for you. If you can get a set for a good price, by all means, but I wouldn't pay full retail for them.