Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Exclamation New Receiver Advice

Well it seems as mine is having some major issues. It got worse after a lightning strike that knocked power out to my block briefly. It used to from time to time crackle out of JUST the right speaker and it was an off and on thing. Now since then i get full crackling out of that speaker when its hooked up. If i unhook it you can hear sound out of the rest of though its really quiet and some static from the receiver itself. Give it some time and it begins to jump from quiet to normal, then eventually goes to normal. Hook up the right speaker when its at normal sound and it plays music but it crackles/pops from time to time

I KNOW its not the speaker as i've swapped it around and its that front right channel, not the speaker itself.

I was thinking of potentially selling it as is with warning on kjiji and pick up a new one.

Please recommend me a good one, currently thinking of Sony 7.1 Channel Home Theatre Receiver (STRDH710) - Future Shop however if its overpriced or not worth it for that price bracket let me know. Looking to spend around 300$ if i can but will go up for quality. Would prefer to buy from futureshop as i can't really wait a week for it to ship from somewhere else.

Last edited by Arinoth; October 15, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old October 15, 2010, 06:43 PM

My System Specs

http://www2.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cat...productId=6192

This likely would be my choice.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:01 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I use an Onkyo SR-507. EXCELLENT price / performance IMO.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Last boxing day it was a toss-up for me between that Sony and this Yamaha Yamaha 5.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver (HTR3063 B) - Future Shop I bought the Yamaha.
Both have similar features and specs. I don't know if it's worth an extra $50 over the Sony sale price or not. Either would be just fine for you, I'd think if you're in a hurry.

If you're not in a hurry, check out the Onkyo's at NCIX. If I was buying today, that's what I'd be getting.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:38 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Im with Sky and lowfat on this one: I recently got an Onkyo TX-SR608 and its by far the best reciever ive ever had. Amazing quality for the price (I PM'd it at best buy of all places, haha).
Old October 16, 2010, 07:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm now what receiver would i really NEED though out of onkyo's?
Old October 16, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The one lowfat posted looks like it would be good for you, it's in your price range and only an extra $30 over the Sony you posted but looks much better for the price.
Old October 16, 2010, 06:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well i happen to be able to get some deals through ncix so well i could probably get the model or two up from the one lowfat linked for the same price.

So NCIX.com - Buy Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2 Channel Stereo Receiver 100W THX Dolby TrueHD DTS-HD Pro Logic Llz 1080I Upcon - TX-SR608(B) In Canada.

or

NCIX.com - Buy Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 Channel Stereo Receiver 80W THX Dolby TrueHD DTS-HD Pro Logic Llz 1080P Upconv - TX-SR508(B) In Canada.
Old October 16, 2010, 10:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quite a bit of people are happy with the ONKYO 608, it is probably one of the most recommended models in HT forums. If budget is of no issue I'd get that model. But if it is, check the the reviews on DENON AVR-591, it is on the cheaper side. Gurus would always say to get one with auto-calibration to help you with your setup and I can tell from my experience that it actually did. I hope you got some nice speakers to enjoy HD audio.

Old October 17, 2010, 12:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, depends on what speakers you're running. If you feel the need for 7.2, then it's the SR608. If 7.1 does it for you, get the SR508. If you're running 5.1 and won't go to 7.1 before you replace it, get the SR308 and save yourself a couple hundred dollars.