Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Stereo Receiver

I'm looking to pick up a new stereo receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions on brand/model?

What I need it for: Listening to records.

I don't need it for a home theatre of any sorts, this is to strictly be hooked up two channel to a set of speakers/monitors for listening to my record collection.

I don't need an amp, and I expect to buy passive speakers.

I'd like some speaker suggestions as well.

Probably looking to spend 300-500 on the receiver, and the speakers depends on what they are. I would prefer bookshelf ones versus stand alone as I don't have the room in my bedroom for stand a lone.

I currently use a 15 year old system I've had forever, so before you call me some hipster for listening to vinyl records - be careful hahaha.

The only audio equipment I know a lot about is studio gear, and that does not suit my needs for this. I don't want to sit in a damn iso booth listening to my records - I just need a simple stereo set up so I can drop a record on and read a book.

Also; I'll take suggestions on a turn table - I've got plenty of vintage ones around, and a Technics 1200 but I'm looking to invest in a really nice one shortly as well.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

A good solid 2 Channel Stereo Reciever, the Outlaw RR2150

RR2150 Stereo Receiver

Good Luck

Another Guy From Canada
Old October 6, 2010, 02:09 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Buy used. Canuck Audio Mart Canada's Largest Online Hifi, Audio & Home Theater Classifieds

I'm pretty sure most components in there would satisfy you. Ex.:

Marantz receiver 200$ NAD C730 Receiver - Price Shipped! - Canuck Audio Mart
Energy monitors 200$ Energy C1 Connoisseur Monitors - Canuck Audio Mart

You have a SL-1200? I'd get it repaired, and use the damn thing. I love those back in the days. And I do understand you, I still listen to my vinyls on a Linn LP12... (like this one: LINN LP12 WITH REGA RB300 ARM AND VALHALLA NEAR MINT - Canuck Audio Mart)
Old October 6, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarl View Post
A good solid 2 Channel Stereo Reciever, the Outlaw RR2150

RR2150 Stereo Receiver

Good Luck

Thanks.

I actually looked at the Outlaw, and I do like it a lot. I'll look into it some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Buy used. Canuck Audio Mart Canada's Largest Online Hifi, Audio & Home Theater Classifieds

I'm pretty sure most components in there would satisfy you. Ex.:

Marantz receiver 200$ NAD C730 Receiver - Price Shipped! - Canuck Audio Mart
Energy monitors 200$ Energy C1 Connoisseur Monitors - Canuck Audio Mart

You have a SL-1200? I'd get it repaired, and use the damn thing. I love those back in the days. And I do understand you, I still listen to my vinyls on a Linn LP12... (like this one: LINN LP12 WITH REGA RB300 ARM AND VALHALLA NEAR MINT - Canuck Audio Mart)

Thanks for that website.. THAT will be handy!

That turn table is a work of art; I'm definitely looking to sink a good chunk of change into a nice one this year. My 1200 is really nice, and it's in perfect shape but it's not a Linn :P

I've got a lot of records, and I am still very active at buying them (just got a shipment of them in today actually.) So this is something I'm aching in my soul to have LOL!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 6, 2010, 03:20 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Don't go overkill on a turntable, unless you are willing to spend some serious doe on a cartridge, an arm, a very good amp and some serious monitors. That Linn was a gift to me from my Mom, and my sound system (Naim amp + Energy monitors) don't do it justice.

I'd look into a more "balanced" system, and the SL-1200 with a nice Grado cartridge would be a start.
Old October 6, 2010, 07:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

you took the words out of my mouth 3.0 !!!!

don't forget about Kijiji either... i got some sweet deals on receivers and quality speakers for my man-cave from online classifieds.
Old October 6, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Don't go overkill on a turntable, unless you are willing to spend some serious doe on a cartridge, an arm, a very good amp and some serious monitors. That Linn was a gift to me from my Mom, and my sound system (Naim amp + Energy monitors) don't do it justice.

I'd look into a more "balanced" system, and the SL-1200 with a nice Grado cartridge would be a start.
Probably a good idea.

I can stick a grado cartridge right onto the SL 1200?
Old October 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Marantz are good receivers. They may be low wattage but very clean wattage to drive your speakers nicely.

I still have a Marantz S5000 receiver i had for ages but i blew up the PS .
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old October 6, 2010, 09:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I own both NAD and Marantz receivers. I found the NAD to be slightly 'warmer' than the Marantz but then I've read others claiming the exact opposite. Audio is personal like that. Both brands offer simple, clean, classy sound, which will make you want to don a tweed jacket, sink into a book, and quietly reproach the 'unwashed masses' who insist upon 'surround sound.' :P
Old October 7, 2010, 01:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Hardware

Consider getting Cerwin Vegas. I own a pr of 1979 speakers. Had to get them refoamed in 2000 and they completely rebuilt the voice coils as well. They have always been a top notch system. Altec Lansing make great systems as well.

For a receiver, try Teac AG-790A AM/FM Stereo Receiver 200W RMS 4 RCA Inputs Black. less than $150 b4 tax, 200w. There are a lot of receivers to choose from.

The 2 speaker systems I recommended have been around forever and are used in recording studios.