Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2010, 06:21 PM
Rookie

Default Headsets

Hi, I'm looking for a nice headset for FPS gaming. It has to have some sort of baseboost and I good sound so I can head footsteps (from sides/front/behind).

What headset would you recommend/use and how much is it?

Thank you

Last edited by tt74Rocky; October 12, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thread moved to audio section.

What's your budget? Gaming use only, or do you use for music and movies as well?

EDIT: And do you use a sound card? What type of games do you play? With FPS games you probably don't want the bass to drown the mids, so you can hear the footsteps.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:31 PM
Rookie

Oops sorry, wrong section....!

My sound card is a gigabyte integrated base model.

Budget.. best bang for the buck.

Yes i'll use them for movies and music too! But mostly for FPS.

COD ftw ;)

Last edited by tt74Rocky; October 5, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old October 6, 2010, 05:39 AM
Top Prospect

Well, the Sound Blaster Arena fits your criteria perfectly, it's a virtual 5.1 USB headset with Bass Boost.
I would recommend the SteelSeries 7H over that, however, where it has virtual 7.1 on the USB model.
Old October 6, 2010, 06:52 AM
Rookie

I've been looking for one myself. You can have a look at this one Corsair HS1, USB Gaming Headset - 50mm Drivers, Circumaural Closed-Back Earcups, Dolby Headphone Technology | Canada Computers
Old October 6, 2010, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a pair of these, replaced by the razer carachsis (sp?). I got them for $15 + 8s/h on ebay BNIB.

Plantronics Gamecom 367 Closed-Ear Gaming Headset w/ Noise Canceling Mic Boom (Retail Box) | Canada Computers

I'd say they're definitely worth $30, if you're on a budget they're not bad. Also, this headset is the most comfortable one I've worn far.
Old October 6, 2010, 10:11 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the helps guys

I was told that, for headsets, it was better to go cheap (15-40$) or go expensive (80$+) but never in the middle because you dont get enought quality for the price.

The 30$ ones look alot like the logitech i have right now (plus base). I feel it would be a decent choice since it wont be hearthbreakign when they will break. In the meantime, will I hear footsteps in FPS games and surch?

The 100$ + ones looks very great. Altrought I need somethign very very durable. (Using them almost everyday so I need at least 1 year garantee), so if I buy theses I really need to be sure they will last very very long.
Old October 6, 2010, 10:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I can recommend Sennheiser PC151's from experience (I just sold my set, upgraded). They go on sale for $50 regularly.

To be honest, I'd recommend getting a sound card and a mid range set of headphones. They do a good job of simulating 5.1 surround in games and I got better because I can tell when someone is running behind me with my Xonar DX and Senny's in MW2 and BC2.
Old October 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I can recommend Sennheiser PC151's from experience (I just sold my set, upgraded). They go on sale for $50 regularly.

To be honest, I'd recommend getting a sound card and a mid range set of headphones. They do a good job of simulating 5.1 surround in games and I got better because I can tell when someone is running behind me with my Xonar DX and Senny's in MW2 and BC2.
I just looked for the Senny's and they are quite similar to the ones I have now.

I really want some decent base going trought the headset... otherwise Call of duty sounds so dull ;)

I don't think your solution will work for me.... ;(

Its hard to find a nice headset nowaday...

Any more idea? ty
Old October 12, 2010, 01:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan912003 View Post
Picked up a pair of these last week. NCIX price matched from Directcanada $89.25. Very comfortable, good for gaming. Virtual 7.1 surround sound.

Big upgrade from my previous set.