Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2010, 02:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Refurbished Pskyo's

I just got an e-mail from the Pskyo people that they are selling refurbished cans for $199.00 USD. Is anyone going to give them a try at this price?
Old October 2, 2010, 05:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

its a canadian company in Calgary
Old October 2, 2010, 06:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
its a canadian company in Calgary
I know they're Canadian. They quoted their price in USD.
Old October 2, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
I just got an e-mail from the Pskyo people that they are selling refurbished cans for $199.00 USD. Is anyone going to give them a try at this price?
At 100, maybe. 200$, no friggin deal

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old October 2, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't buy them since I'm skeptical of the sound quality, but if you really want them for $200 you should get them new: Psyko 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset at Memory Express Computers
Old October 2, 2010, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Get them new and in CAD for same price Psyko 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset at Memory Express Computers

-damnit, ninja'd
Old October 3, 2010, 12:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Get them new and in CAD for same price Psyko 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset at Memory Express Computers

-damnit, ninja'd
Both my spouse and I have a pair of Pskyo's. We were on a waiting list and got them new over a year ago. It's just that there was so much discussion going on last year about how pricey they were that I was curious if anyone would go for them at the "new" price. We actually phoned there and said that they should give Canadians a price break since they were a Canadian company and they gave us a coupon code for $100.00 off.
Old October 3, 2010, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I wouldn't buy them since I'm skeptical of the sound quality, but if you really want them for $200 you should get them new: Psyko 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset at Memory Express Computers
ever taken a plane ride and used thier Y stereo tubed ear sets to listen to radio/movie
Old October 3, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'd have to get a hold of them to check out their frequency range - but I'm skeptical of it as well.

Plus, "surround sound" in headphones is a retarded idea. If you know anything at all about how sound works; you'd know that these types of head phones are completely dumb.

Stereo headphones provide complete spacial awareness. But they will -never- be able to replicate the quality and depth of a pair of speakers. It's why audio engineers use headphones to discern the location in a physical reality a sound is coming from and near, mid, and far field monitors to check clarity and depth.

Surround sound speakers work by directing different channels from different physical locations - if those locations are not actually different, IE it's all stuck to your head - then how is that even surround sound? The compression in rare fraction has zero airtime to dissipate and create travel distance variances.

In short. These are a joke and provide no more spacial sound scape than stereo headphones. Any perceived "surround" sound is synthetic from their software.

Especially because most things, especially music are not ever mixed in surround. Movies are, but games are rarely. Mixing surround is obnoxious and is a gimick in itself.