Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Default How decent are USB Soundcards?

The Realtek on my Atom system is terrible and I only have one expansion port, which is PCI, and it's being used by a HD 2400Pro (The PCI version does not have HD audio as I found out after I bought it). I was thinking of grabbing a USB soundcard for it, but I'm a tad wary that it may actaully be worse than the Realtek. I'll be using Analog outputs.
Old September 30, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
The Realtek on my Atom system is terrible and I only have one expansion port, which is PCI, and it's being used by a HD 2400Pro (The PCI version does not have HD audio as I found out after I bought it). I was thinking of grabbing a USB soundcard for it, but I'm a tad wary that it may actaully be worse than the Realtek. I'll be using Analog outputs.
Auzentech. If I remember, the Prelude is PCI. Might work.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 30, 2010, 03:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

+1 on the prelude. Only reason I ditched it was it was PCI. Other than that, it was fantastic.
Old September 30, 2010, 04:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The only decent USB sound cards I'm aware of are the Creative ones, but I have no idea how good or bad they are. In any case, it's a pretty safe bet that they'll sound better than crappy integrated Realtek audio, but you'd probably have to pay an arm and a leg for one. Here are two that I found on their website:
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 | Creative Labs Online Store
Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! | Creative Labs Online Store
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Auzentech. If I remember, the Prelude is PCI. Might work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
+1 on the prelude. Only reason I ditched it was it was PCI. Other than that, it was fantastic.
He's asking about USB sound cards, but I can see how you might have missed that since he didn't mention it anywhere in the thread title or in his original post. Oh wait...

Last edited by Zero82z; September 30, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old September 30, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Despite no mention of USB anywhere in that post or title, the only advice I can give is:

I can't compare to onboard realtek, but I know the Creative Go! seems to work quite well. A friend purchased it for a broken onboard laptop.
Old September 30, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The only decent USB sound cards I'm aware of are the Creative ones, but I have no idea how good or bad they are. In any case, it's a pretty safe bet that they'll sound better than crappy integrated Realtek audio, but you'd probably have to pay an arm and a leg for one. Here are two that I found on their website:
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 | Creative Labs Online Store
Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! | Creative Labs Online Store

He's asking about USB sound cards, but I can see how you might have missed that since he didn't mention it anywhere in the thread title or in his original post.

Who forget to read here???
I agree with zero, have sell few of creative USB soundcard over the year and since they are not totally pair with their PCI or PCI-e card they perform pretty good. Some wierd brand have other cheap one but who know, do they ever have sound?

+1 for zero sugestion and the whole comment:)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Uh, USB is right in the title of the thread

Quote:
How decent are USB Soundcards?
Is there some stupid filter on that blocks that....
Old September 30, 2010, 04:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Uh, USB is right in the title of the thread

Is there some stupid filter on that blocks that....
If you're referring to my comment, it was sarcasm. If you're referring to the others, well...
Old September 30, 2010, 04:55 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Naw Zero, it was to the peeps that can't seem to read.
Old September 30, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been using the Musiland Monitor 02 US external soundcard to bypass my notebook's internal card. It's a fantastic card. You can find them on eBay for about $125 shipped brand new.