Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2010, 07:06 PM
Top Prospect

Default Front height channels and sound cards?

Hello all,

I'm setting up a home theater and plan to hook my computer into it. I will have on board sound to start, and plan to upgrade down the road and add a sound card. For an amp I plan to use an HT-RC270 that can take 7.1 analog in, or I can use an optical. 7.1 surround is a bit much for the room, so I want to see if I like the sound of front height speakers. I'm new to DSX and PlIIz so I'm curious if anyone knows the best way to hook my PC up for this configuration? Also, I haven't seen it kicking about, but is there a sound card that has on board dsx or PlIIz?

Thanks all, I'll let you know how the system sounds when I get it built.
Old September 19, 2010, 08:16 PM

My System Specs

Generally it is the receiver that does the the DSP/expanding. So the sound card should have no affect on this. And since you are using a HDMI 1.3 capable receiver the easiest way would to just buy a videocard w/ a capable HDMI out. Like and ATI HD 5-series card or an Nvidia GTS450/GTX460.
Old September 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
Top Prospect

I will be using a GTX 460 into an H5360 if everything goes according to plan. I need to check if the EDID will pass through the amp, and if that's the case I may not need a sound card.
Old September 19, 2010, 10:07 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyxtwing View Post
I will be using a GTX 460 into an H5360 if everything goes according to plan. I need to check if the EDID will pass through the amp, and if that's the case I may not need a sound card.
I don't see why it should be a problem. I am using a Onyko TX-SR606 w/ my GTX460's. It works pretty decently. Only issue is that my HD audio formats are no longer supported. Although I think that has to due w/ the HDMI board on the receiver likely dying.
Old September 19, 2010, 11:00 PM
Top Prospect

Sounds like you have a similar set up to what I'm looking into. Does the card send audio from games as well as movies? It's been a long time since I did a gaming build.

The only problem I could run into is the amp changing or not passing through the EDID as I am aiming to use 3D and have heard of issues with amps changing that information and preventing the software from recognizing the display. We sell Onkyo amps at work, so I may give my rep a call and see if he knows off hand.
Old September 19, 2010, 11:52 PM

My System Specs

Well my setup is a bit different. I use DisplayPort for video to my 27" iMac. Then use HDMI to the receiver for audio. But yes 5.1 audio works great for games/movies/etc. The GTX460 has no problem outputting 7.1 LPCM for either of them.
Old September 20, 2010, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

On the GTX460 can you configure it to send the video out of one of the DVI outs and then the audio out of the HDMI? If so, that could solve all of my problems.
Old September 20, 2010, 01:59 PM

My System Specs

The GTX460 just thinks I have two monitors hooked up. The iMac on DisplayPort, then the receiver on the HDMI port. In the Windows 7 sound preferences I just set the receiver as the primary sound device. It works nearly flawlessly. Can't say the same thing when I used an HD5970 instead, it was a headache every single day to get it to work like that.
Old September 20, 2010, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect

Cool. Does having the card assume you have two monitors drop performance as it is sending out two video streams? Haven't been graphic card shopping in a couple of years heheh. Having both outputs going like that may work perfect for me as I could hook up the receiver's output to my tv or monitor, and the DVI to my projector and pick and choose what I want to play through without having to change my cables or running a switcher.
Old September 20, 2010, 03:03 PM

My System Specs

No performance drop from what I can tell.